ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 280 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Originally Posted by Trumpy

2.2kW you say?
Do UK Ovens no longer have a higher rated Grill element at the top rated at about 6-7kW?

I've never heard of a grill that powerful either! Usually around the 2kW mark. Our 'built in' electric oven is designed such that it can either be a fan assisted oven (2.4kW), a conventional oven or a grill. All using different elements. The mode selector switch wont allow the connected load to exceed 2.4kW

G
Quote: "The trip occurs when just the fan and internal oven light come on but before any heaters are switched on "

I suspect that if you megger the oven element you will find it leaky.
They are mineral insulated and not particularly well sealed at the ends. Moisture is absorbed during periods not in use. Hence as soon as another load on the same circuit raises the (un-switched) neutral potential a little, out goes the RCD.
If you once get the element to heat up the moisture will be dispersed further through the insulation and/or driven out, and all will seem well - for a while.
I once experimented with such an element, heating it up then connecting it to a megger. The insulation initially showed infinity, but dropped like a stone as the element cooled to well under 1Mohm.

T
True!
I once had a cooker that was so bad it sizzled audible when turned on (immediately, long before it could heat up). It didn't leak enough current to trip the 100 mA RCD though. Since the cooker was also horribly dirty we simply took it to the tip and never looked back. I'm generally not very fond of electric cookers with solid iron elements and prefer gas.

A
Good news I've finally sorted my mums oven turned out the oven element was distorted out of shape and had a tiny hole in it when this got a bit of moisture in it it tripped the RCD its got a shiny new one now so all's well. I still hate RCDs though

Last edited by annemarie1; 02/17/16 05:27 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard