ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Hi guys I remember those old round switches where my dad worked in the 1980s the place was built in the 50 s so it all makes sense. What I do remember is that when a flourescents lamp was installed to replace a pair of filament lamps in a workshop when switçhing off the switch would break down live to earth with a BANG and blown fuse!

T
Originally Posted by annemarie1
Hi guys I remember those old round switches where my dad worked in the 1980s the place was built in the 50 s so it all makes sense. What I do remember is that when a flourescents lamp was installed to replace a pair of filament lamps in a workshop when switçhing off the switch would break down live to earth with a BANG and blown fuse!

Now that's not what I'd expect from a switch obviously designed with DC in mind!

A
It was a bit scary when it happened they changed the switch soon after that. I think part of the trouble was that the place was damp which don't help things.

W
Originally Posted by LongRunner
For the power calculation: 60W / 120V = 0.5A

Anyway, I don't really expect it to set anything on fire, with the ceramic base, but I doubt such a switch would qualify as "double-insulated" so if nothing else, I would have a GFI on the circuit.

More to the point in your part of the world: 60W / 240V = 0.25A

T
Originally Posted by winston_1
Originally Posted by LongRunner
For the power calculation: 60W / 120V = 0.5A

Anyway, I don't really expect it to set anything on fire, with the ceramic base, but I doubt such a switch would qualify as "double-insulated" so if nothing else, I would have a GFI on the circuit.

More to the point in your part of the world: 60W / 240V = 0.25A

True for Anne-Marie but Meezy is located in New York so 120 V is correct!

G
Well I've repaired all sorts of things, either as necessity or just as a challenge, but I congratulate Meezy on replicating the part I would have considered impossible!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard