ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 136 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#141071 06/05/04 05:01 AM
sanUK,
Just a small question about pic No.6 with the Pyrotenax cable.
Shouldn't there be a sealing gland on the end of that cable?. [Linked Image]

#141072 06/05/04 11:34 AM
A
looks as though it could be a flameproof gland by look of the thread length, what was the installation?

#141073 06/05/04 07:25 PM
S
sanUK,
Just a small question about pic No.6 with the Pyrotenax cable.
Shouldn't there be a sealing gland on the end of that cable?.

The gland was filled with bitumen [Linked Image] yes BITUMEN when i removed it, i stripped the gland down later after removing the old pyro.
The cable was a sub main supplying a farm outbuilding, and looked to be the original wiring, at a guess 1950`s (ish).

#141074 11/16/04 11:16 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Received by e-mail from somebody identified only as "gippeswyc":

I found a reference to the above switches at electrical-contractor.net while researching and thought you & its members might be interested in this.

While having a floor replaced in an Edwardian house in Ipswich, I found a box for such a switch in almost pristine condition - carefully closed and undisturbed
for perhaps over 50 years. Top & bottom are pic 1 while the 4 sides are pic 2.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks to gippeswyc for taking the trouble to send me these photos. It's amazing the treasures that can lie hidden away for decades.

#141075 11/16/04 06:20 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
We're getting more switches for the collection. The following comes from John at Cumbriapower:

Got a couple of pics for the 'old Brit switches' thread if you would like to include them...

This switch, a Falks 2gg, 2w was removed from a farmhouse recently. There were many others, but the glass-blasting company who were cleaning up the stonework in the house were philistines; most of the accessories were litterally blown to shreds!

It would have been fitted in around 1964 when power was made available in that valley. As you can see the bezel is wooden, and the front cover clips to the frame of the switch - which has been screwed directly to the wall or base ( if used ); effectively sandwiching the bezel in between. Effective!

It is available if anyone wishes to add it to their collection...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for those John. I don't recall ever seeing this brand before.

#141076 11/16/04 08:24 PM
U
Thanks Paul. I have come across them a couple of times before which makes me wonder whether they might be of a local origin...? I'll try an do a little research if I can, and find out more about them.

Sorry about the focus in the last pic - I haven't got the hang of the macro function on the camera yet ! [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#141077 11/30/04 06:31 PM
S
Seem to remember very similar if not identical switches were used in council houses in East Kilbride, I'm talking over 30 years ago when I was a kid so don't take it as gospel.

Simon.

#141078 11/30/04 08:37 PM
U
Ah well Simon, this came from a house in the Lake District [Linked Image] I can't find any info about the manufacturer at all sadly.

Anyone want to add this thing to their collection/s? First to post can have it - or I'll be binning it!!!

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
M
Hi fellas. I see this thread is quite cold. I'm just a regular dude with no electrical experience whatsoever. I was in Australia recently and bought a lovely old unbranded switch that resembles a Vitreous or Crabtree.

I was flipping it on and off but the prongs were too tight and little ceramic bit that keeps you from getting electrocuted broke.

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKo5yPjAYwRTm0yS0RKc2ZkOGM/view[/img]

I was very sad. This switch only cost me about $8. For a brief moment, I considered throwing it away. I think that's what most people would have done. But then I began thinking of how I could salvage it. After lots of bad ideas, I decided that the best thing would be to go to pottery class and mold a new piece out clay and fire it. I made about ten duplicates, assuming that they would break or would not fit right for one reason or another.

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKo5yPjAYwRYVNHQ3IxX2hXMWM/view?usp=sharing[/img]

Well, the first one fit and worked great.

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKo5yPjAYwRQXVwcXhqVy1fUU0/view?usp=sharing[/img]

...and after all this work, and after installing it...

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKo5yPjAYwRSjQwTlRRVmw4Z1k/view?usp=sharing[/img]

only NOW does it occur to me - is this thing even SAFE to use? I think it only has a 5amp capacity. A person at the hardware store helped me calculate that with a 60 watt lightbulb it would only create a .6 amp load. Does that sound right?

Thanks and looking forward to your replies. Hopefully my flat won't burn down in the meantime.

Cheers,
~M.

Last edited by Trumpy; 11/27/15 09:09 PM. Reason: Edited to repair image tags- Mike T
L
For the power calculation: 60W / 120V = 0.5A

Anyway, I don't really expect it to set anything on fire, with the ceramic base, but I doubt such a switch would qualify as "double-insulated" so if nothing else, I would have a GFI on the circuit.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard