ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Sometimes we get so 'code happy' and proud of our own cleverness we create our own problems. Well, once again, the "market" has stepped in:

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/gifts-...anywhere-includes-ac-plus-2-usb-chargers

So, go ahead. Cling to your "6-ft. rule" and "code minimum" silliness. Keep putting those receptacles behind the sofa. We don't need you. Who cares about UL? The inspector will never see it.

Electricians should be ashamed that there's a market for this product.

BTW: How many are you giving out this Christmas? laugh

I only did custom home residential work, so I never followed the minimum rules. I will typically start with a receptacle near the door in a bedroom, not 6 feet in. This puts the receptacle where a vacuum can be plugged in, and then space the remaining receptacles thinking of how the furniture will be placed. Only those "I never want to see those awful looking receptacles and wires" people are disappointed. All the others love the idea of being able to plug lamps, computers, etc. in without moving furniture.

Frank DuVal
Fredericksburg, VA
G
I actually had a receptacle added behind the couch.
The spacing worked out so that the lamps on the end tables both reached just fine.

That way the 'more accessible' receptacle near the end tables are unused so that I can plug in transient loads...like my laptop.

On a more humorous note:
When my nephew was having his first house built he remembered that I had been talking about the 6' rule.
After construction I asked him why there were so many receptacles in his new house and he told me that he "took my advice about the 6' rule" and had the EC put receptacles on 6' spacing everywhere 'like I had said'...so there ended up being twice as many outlets as needed almost everywhere.
I calmly explained that wasn't what the 6' rule was, but the work was already done.
I thought that experience would make him more receptive to actually listening...but alas.
LMAO

Ghost307
W
Originally Posted by renosteinke

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/gifts-...anywhere-includes-ac-plus-2-usb-chargers

Electricians should be ashamed that there's a market for this product.

BTW: How many are you giving out this Christmas? laugh

If I were to make this product, it would be a power strip with say 6 outlets, and a few USB outlets, and while I'm at it, I'd make those USBs a powered hub that could connect to a computer.

I wouldn't mind having outlets every 6 feet. With all the electrical toys we have today, I'd need them.

Last edited by wa2ise; 11/13/15 08:05 PM.
G
I thought the USB receptacle was silly but now that I put one in the end cap of my peninsula, they stay full so it must be a reasonable idea.

Greg Fretwell
M
From the new stores I have been in, in my city the Canadian doughnut chain (Tim Horton's)is putting a USB combo receptacle at most of seating locations in all the new stores.

Its actually interesting to see how many customers (mostly teens but some business people) are using the USB ports and how quickly they move from the few non equipped tables in the middle of the floor to a booth or wall table with one.

M
I also wonder when USB plug installations will be part of the Canadian and US codes? Something like 1 in every bed room or family room.

G
You will have to second guess where people are going to park their mobile devices. My wife does not take her cell phone into the bedroom. My POTS phone in there is pretty much out going calls only (no bell)

Greg Fretwell
M
We are both older and don't need them at night, all the kids/teens have them with them 24/7.

Some of my friends kids spend as much time looking for a place to recharge as they do texting and watching video's.

There are also a lot more people that seem to be on call for work now that there are cell phones and they need to keep charged up.

Cat Servant
USB? Now, this is a really good tangent!

It's not just about the cell phones. All manner of things are now using the USB ports.

Sure, there are the "obvious" things like phones and tablets.

Then there are bluetooth speakers, cameras, and other electronic toys.

Last, there's the "woot" market. "I Want One Of Those." Little USB lights, fans, lava lamps, disco balls, even a coffee cup warmer. Name it, and someone is likely to make it.

I have a USB 'hub' with seven ports in it. Those seven ports take up about as much space as a duplex receptacle. Remember the older receptacles that had three plug ports? Well, here comes seven!

Let's face it ... 15 amps is an arbitrary figure. It's not really enough for a 'real' load, like a space heater or microwave ..... yet far more than what you need for most loads. Even a traditional light bulb used less than one amp.

Maybe it makes sense to have plenty of limited outlets for all those tiny 5-watt loads. That's the USB limitation: 5 watts. Without a USB port, you need to plug in a 'wall wart,' and one of those will block an entire duplex receptacle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard