ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
The way the kids over here lose the all adapters, installing a few of the USB/wall receptacles seemed the obvious solution. I've got one in both bathrooms, one next to the couch and on the kitchen peninsula. They all get used A LOT!

G
I suppose at a certain point we have to separate USB as a data port and the simple fact that people discovered it was a convenient way to get 5VDC.
The 5V part is easy. A UL device will separate the low voltage from line voltage but if you are pulling in a data line it gets more complicated.

Greg Fretwell
G
Laboratory tests of some USB outlets available here indicate doubtful compliance with standards particularly regarding clearances and PCB anti-tracking measures.

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or.../product-safety-unit/usb-socket-outlets/

Cat Servant
Sure, let's all start worrying, like Chicken Little. No one else but us could possible know what they're doing.

Counterfeit / substandard products? Always a problem, ever the challenge. Yet we didn't disband our air forces and airlines when it was discovered that some fake parts had entered the supply chain.

As for the 'separation' issues .... seems the computer folks got there decades ago. Already I have some ports / jacks that are 'power only,' while some others surprised me with their ability to handle data as well.

Data wires? What are those? laugh It seems that everything is going 'wireless.' I've seen wireless devices with 100-ft. ranges. Data, music, alarms ..... all 'wireless.' Secure? Just how do you think the gas pump communicates with that satellite?

The USB/wall outlets that I installed are all Pass & Seymour or Cooper. I'm pretty sure they're legit smile

I have enough open USB ports on my computers to cover all my needs for USB usage grin

G
The problem for me is phones and tablets. You really can't see any of our PC system units anyway.
I had a couple of USB wall warts plugged in and there was no place to plug anything else in so I ended up with a cube tap and 2 wall warts. It looked like the Chevy Chase Christmas to my wife and a USB receptacle was better than cutting in a 1900 box and putting in a quad. (still ending up with 2 wall warts)

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard