ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
renosteinke #216228 11/06/15 05:22 PM
I remember a gas fired water heater. A coil inside a cast housing with a gas burner at the bottom. No vent, and you opened the front panel/door and lit it with a stick match.

I guess that was the 'first' on demand water heater! It was in my grandmothers house way back when.

The kitchen stove was coal burning; or wood if you had no coal.

John
renosteinke #216229 11/06/15 08:02 PM
It has likely already been mentioned but I didn't see it while reading through...

How many of the code violations were a result of hiring a "handyman" vs an actual qualified electrical contractor? He'll paint, frame, plumb and wire your house for a fraction of the cost.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
renosteinke #216233 11/07/15 02:11 PM
T
Up until the 1980s there were plenty of small un-vented on-demand gas water heaters in several European countries (and by that I mean they could be legally bought and fitted new), even considerably longer in some countries I think. Those units were small (5 l per minute flow rate, roughly 1 1/4 GPM) and only to serve sinks. Using them to fill a bath was illegal because of the extended operating time. My dad once lived in a place with such an illegally installed one and says the fumes were definitely nasty! I think my mom wanted one fitted to the kitchen sink around 1987 and it would have been possible, except our gas pipes were too leaky for the required pressure test, even though they were still tight enough not to cause any trouble in normal use.

Cookers (kitchen stoves) were never vented in continental Europe, with very very few exceptions (I've seen ONE in my entire life). The authorities don't seem to be concerned with them either, unlike with flue-vented boilers and water heaters. If you've got one of them any extractor fans in the house must be automatically switched off as soon as the boiler kicks in!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard