ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 256 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#216200 11/01/15 07:43 PM
S
Here is my dilemma. I have to ground a weather vane which is a 20 feet of 2" rigid in the center and above the main roof. It is anchored to the wall where the roof access three stories up. The building is part poured concrete and prefab concrete located in a very hospitable area weather rise. Imagine a harden concrete bunker that is a maze of floors, rooms, and concrete. This building is like that but worse.

The #2 GEC needs to go down two floors and a good 100' through a dozen concrete walls which will not be easy to drill, even for concrete. I could take it down to the basement then across to bypass a few walls, however being a GEC, the shorter the better. Running it on the exterior is out and due to the prefab concrete, I can't count on using the building steel. The old drawings are ambiguous and without reliable information, I can't use building steel.

One option I would like to explore but not exactly to code is panel feeders are all rigid pipe which are encased in the pour concrete. Before go and seek an engineers and AHJ's approval, my theory is bonding to the rigid feeder a near by panel. This would be the shortest route back to the MDP (providing proper bonding).Would this present a potential problem besides code would this not be no way possible to keep from even trying getting approval?

It's out of the box approach and the code is the box. I'm just trying to avoid a laborious process when there is in its self a very long run for a GEC. ensuring that it a safe and reliable installation. I'm not out anything on this project but time. It's the customer, ie the tax payer that will be footing the bill and I'm about safety and economics of any project

Is this idea dead before it started?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

sparkyinak #216201 11/01/15 08:18 PM
First....is what you are attempting 'lightning protection'??

If so, that is out of the NEC realm, and is done to UL specs AFAIK. Braided Cu conductors, run on the exterior, on standoff supports, eliminate any 'tight bends', and terminate at a ground rod. Then bond all rods AFAIK.

John
HotLine1 #216202 11/01/15 11:04 PM
S
It's more grounding and static build up. Lightening is a rarity here and then it's the higher elevations. Weather vane has a wind meter which is wired into a very expensive data collecter with inline surge supressors so everything ahead of the supressors needs to be grounded straight to ground

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
sparkyinak #216203 11/02/15 02:48 AM
G
You definitely want your grounding conductor shorter than your data cable, if you have to coil the data cable up.
(actually not a bad idea, along with ferrite beads)
You want the lightning shot bonded out before it can get to the equipment. I am not sure how the science works out but that is what works practically.

If lightning is even a possibility you need to follow John's advice. You do not want that fire ball transiting the building. It will be flowing down the outside of that conductor.

I didn't use anything but a long data cable and some ferrites on my weather station and that mast has been hit at least twice with no damage.

Best is if you can optically or RF connect your data, even if the air gap is only an inch or so.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard