ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Today I made a quick stop at Home Depot on the way home from work.

I forgot I was wearing an orange shirt.

Good heavens .... I felt like a salmon swimming upstream, as I "fought" my way through throngs of customers who thought I worked there!

Lesson learned laugh

G
I have trouble with the employees at HD.
There are a few people there who know who I am and they bring customers over for questions they can't answer.
That is a fine line to walk. I don't want to offer any official advice but I will discuss he code issues.

Usually I just avoid the electrical department whenever possible. wink

Greg Fretwell
W
Originally Posted by renosteinke

I forgot I was wearing an orange shirt.

If you were in Syracuse, nobody would have noticed. Syracuse University's school colors are orange and a little blue. smile

G
Based on the way that I've been mistreated so often at HD, I would have told them "Go away...I'm on break".
LOL

Ghost307
I have an 'orange' rain jacket, and have to wear ID at work, and going into the HD for inspections on a rainy day, basically questions even in the parking lot.

Life goes on.

John
M
I have had the same thing happen to me wearing an orange shirt, usually a customer just wanting to know what aisle something is in.

T
I recently went to an Austrian DIY store wearing dirty blue overalls. Guess how quickly an elderly lady thought I looked so professional and started buggering me with questions!

Obviously she didn't mistake me for an employee (store colours are red and yellow) but she thought I'd be able to help her.

Unfortunately no one could help her - the item she was looking for simply didn't exist. She had one of those triple Schuko sockets that fit a single-gang box but protrude quite far from the wall, similar to the 6-way adaptors for duplex NEMA sockets and wanted to have it replaced by something with a lower profile. I told her she'd have to get an electrician to add two more boxes if she wanted a regular triple socket there and tried to steer her away from the very cheapest no-name range of switches.

I shudder to think who might have promised to do the work for her!

H
In the UK, track-side railway workers wear full orange fluorescent clothing and as I volunteer on a weekend tourist railway I have a set of orange gear with appropriate hard hat in the car. My day job involves a 50 mile commute into London by train and as my HiViz jacket is also waterproof, when it rains – as it often does here in the UK – I sometimes wear it going to work. This can have interesting consequences at the railway station where I am often asked for directions and details of the next service to wherever. I am reminded of one of those Tom and Jerry episodes where the devil is sitting on one of his shoulders and an angel on the other!

Another side effect of HiViz clothing is that it makes one utterly invisible! At my daughter’s university I had to park my car while she picked up some stuff and there is a strictly no car stopping policy. Simple solution – quickly don orange HiViz and associated hard hat. Me and the car quickly disappeared from the radar screen as we are most obviously on official business!

G
Yup a hard hat and a clipboard pretty much gets you anywhere, vest is just a plus.

Greg Fretwell
Add a marked municipal vehicle to the above....

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard