ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#21609 02/06/03 12:06 PM
F
I was called upon to size an emergency generator as an alternate power source for a fire pump. There are other loads as well. However, I want to focus on the fire pump load for now. I plan to use the horsepower rating of the motor to calculate load. I reviewed the 2002 NEC Handbook 695.3(B)(1)and learned the generator does not need to be sized for lock rotor of fire pump.
<b>Where the alternative source of power is an on-site generator, the alternative source disconnecting means and the alternative source overcurrent protective device(s) for the electric-drive fire pump are not required to be sized for locked-rotor current of the fire pump motor(s). Rather, the circuit components of the alternative source are permitted to be sized according to Article 430, provided they are “selected or set to allow instantaneous pickup and running of the fire pump load.” See 445.12(A). <b/>
Did I interpret it properly?

If your fire pump has it's rotor locked indefinitely, it's a much bigger problem.(that should have been corrected earlier)
I believe you're correct...S

Link Copied to Clipboard