ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#216092 09/30/15 09:57 PM
Cat Servant
I've been busy, with the usual assortment of tasks. Some lessons have been learned, and some old ones validated.

RUSTY / Stiff Pliers: A drop of 'valve grinding compound,' worked back and forth, followed by a 'rinse' of Break-Free (or other penetrating oil)works magic in moments. In no time your pliers are operating freely.

BABY BAND-SAW: Milwaukee's little band saw has proven a real blessing, making all manner of pipework a breeze. It's especially useful if you need to interrupt a line already mounted.

MULTI-MASTER: I just 'cut in' a box for an outside wall - from the inside! Instead of the usually 'sloppy,' misplaced opening, I wound up wit a perfectly placed, almost too tight opening. Making the opening was relatively quick, clean, and pleasant. MUCH better than the usual drill / saws-it-all hack.
For this particular job, I wanted a box that went all the way through the wall, with mud rings on both faces. GARVIN sells 'extension rings' that take screws on both sides ... my final assembly was a tile ring, the Garvin ring, a common extension ring, a sheet-metal mounting bracket that attached to the stud, and the final extension ring.

Little Shopping Cart: Working better than I had hoped. I have been able to hang a small wastebasket from it for my trash. OK, so the wheels need a fairly decent floor. Big enough to be useful, small enough that you can't overload it. A "garden wagon" has proven itself for hauling around multiple spools of small wire, and can handle rough or soft ground.

Tool Organizer for Lifts: I made a plate with various pouches, that hangs over the rail of a lift. It has been a real blessing, even though my selection of pouches left a lot to be desired. (I'm working on that). Add to it a magnetic parts dish for holding screws, and you've got it made.

Reno:
I used a Klein canvas bags with Klein 'hooks' on lifts and the bucket trucks.

We also used a plastic 'milk crate' (yes it is not "legal", with the same Klein hooks.

John
M
Not sure if they are available in the US but Home Depot here in Canada was selling milk crates in the stores. you are not going to loose one as they were in the HD orange.

G
There is a 6 gallon jug milk crate that is perfect as a wire caddy. With a piece of EMT through the handle holes, it will dispense 3 spools of wire and you can still carry lots of stuff in it.
I am sure the one I have is not exactly "legal" but it is from some place 2000 miles away so I doubt they would pay me to ship it to them. (assuming the place is even in business)

Greg Fretwell
Speaking of tools...

How many of you guys use a tool belt? I use one all the time at work but seldom do I see other electricians wearing them. Of the 2 other electricians I commonly work with I am the only one who even has a tool belt. Those 2 guys carry tool pouches.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
G
The only time I use one is if I am up and down a ladder a lot.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard