ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 671 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Yes, it has the twist-loc. It even comes with a very nice, fat cord ... 30A, 4-prong twist-loc on one end, and FOUR 120v 15A plugs on the other. It is protected by the generator's main breaker.

For that matter, a 'power inlet' (with weatherproof cover) costs less than $20. As long as I only use "one circuit" worth of power I'll be OK. Plenty enough for a furnace blower and a few lights. Can't accidentally overload things if I have to swap plugs smile

Acorn? My rods are ... as code requires ... completely buried. I'll run the ground wire either to my 'inter-system grounding bridge,' or maybe even straight to the panel bussbar.

I specifically do NOT want to have a permanent connection. Choose loads? It's a bit too easy to mess up - and, before you know it, you might as well put in a proper transfer switch, etc. No, this is a PORTABLE generator, and will be used as such.

Keep in mind that this genny won't just sit there ... it also serves as my jobsite genny when I need one.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I put an inlet and a breaker interlock kit in here but I have never actually used it.
It is piped in PVC and I thought about putting a couple "T" conduit bodies in with a little loop for one of the ungrounded conductors so I could easily check the current but I never bothered.

Greg Fretwell
Broom Pusher and

I also see a section about connecting the generator to a transfer switch.

I bet that is why the Instructions ask for the Genny to be Bonded to the Local GES... for a Standby Genny situation, semi-permanently connected via an ATS.
Kind of a ---CYA--- inclusion for the Manufacturer, even if the device is used for Temporary Power / not used as a Standby source.

OTOH, the Manufacturer might really feel strongly about creating a GES for ALL their Gennys - low Power included, and the Grounding Specifications became "Boiler Plate Text" in every Manual - for whatever reason
dunno

--Scott (EE)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard