ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#215918 08/14/15 09:48 PM
This was/is in the Photo Gallery, & I moved it here to have some thoughts & discussion.

It is 'bolted' to the rail via two 1/4-20 machine screws, and the conduits are the rest of the 'support'.

It is not 'new' and seems to have been there for some time.

There's another pic of the troff that has clearance issues.

Please use the link, until I move the pic here.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by HotLine1; 08/15/15 11:01 AM.

John
HotLine1 #215925 08/15/15 11:33 AM
Cat Servant
Just to play devils' advocate ... what's the problem?

Other than a general requirement that boxes be 'supported,' the NEC is silent on the support of panels. There's no rule that the bolts have to go through the back of the panel. No listing requirement that you use the provided holes, either.

With that big pipe coming out the top, the panel isn't going anywhere.

Nor does the trough require access, unless you need to access splices. Think of it as a really big LB.

----------

Now, for a different approach ....

I've had issues with such rails before. While I admire the desire to protect equipment from traffic, access is sacrificed. Heck, I've seen similar panels behind such rails, and you were required to climb on the rail to reach the breakers. In one instance, you had to climb up to a catwalk, cross over a conveyor, then climb down another ladder. (Talk about being trapped!)

I guess that the rail is there to protect things from traffic. If so, I'd question the couple of inches that the panel projects into the traffic lane.

---------

Part of me wants to send the management of this place a thank-you note. Such a note would read:
"thank you- for letting me know up front just how little you think of your people. It's nice to see you're too cheap to hire real pros, and that your history of hack-work is so long that folks are forced to layer new hacks atop older ones."

----------

Inspections? Yea, right. Such places NEVER have permits and inspections. Nope .... their management are all kings, even gods, in their little universe. To them, the only thing dumber than their customers are their employees.

Such people also can't ever be bothered by rules, codes, or bothered by learning. Any issue, they automatically 'know' the solution.

I believe the word for this mindset is "hubris." Whom the Gods would destroy, they first make proud.

At least they know their betters - and are trying to imitate them ... 'them' being the Chinese!

HotLine1 #215927 08/15/15 06:20 PM
Reno:

You said.."Nor does the trough require access, unless you need to access splices. Think of it as a really big LB."

Do not all condulets require that the cover be accessable??
Think having to pull additional conductors.

I thought of sending the owners some comments, within a Notice of Violation for unpermitted work. This is very, very unusual for this Industrial/Office park as they keep tight reins on the tenants and contractors.

John
HotLine1 #215928 08/15/15 07:41 PM
G
They need to be accessible but I am not sure they need working space as defined in 110.26

Greg Fretwell
HotLine1 #215929 08/15/15 09:09 PM
Greg:

The purpose of the rails that are installed is multipurpose, to provide protection from 'physical damage' and to 'prevent intrusion of storage in the 3' front zone.

I was not going to 110.26, but for being able to have space to work.

John
HotLine1 #215930 08/15/15 11:22 PM
S
Judging by the angle of the pictures, both LB's do not appear to be blocked. My guess by the pic is there was no room on the back wall for another panel so they hokey'd onto the railing. It may not be the prettiest thing and appears to be secured in place. The code covers safety, not looks. Likely an in house job.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
HotLine1 #215932 08/15/15 11:48 PM
G
I agree with John on the panel. They are using a raceway as support.

Greg Fretwell
HotLine1 #215935 08/16/15 11:14 AM
Cat Servant
Silly question: How do you operate those disconnects?

It appears that the barrier places them out of reach- unless you climb upon the barrier.

Likewise, pulling the meters requires working space ... and I don't see enough. Lean over the rail? I'm not happy about that .... is there 36" between the face of those boxes and the rails?

Hotline, you're right about LB's requiring 'access,' but I see splicing points as requiring a greater level of accessibility. Your pic shows several LB's that are 'accessible,' but only if you're a hummingbird.

HotLine1 #215939 08/16/15 03:19 PM
Reno:

When these rails are installed originally, there is compliant working space for utility workers (meters/CTs), and access to the means of disconnect. That also provides 'working space' of 36" minimum.

Access to the electrical equip is on either end, as at least one 'end' is open for access. In the pic, you can see an opening in the rail.

John
HotLine1 #215940 08/16/15 03:27 PM
parkyinak:

Access to the LBs was not my intent. This pic is for the mounting of a panel. Mention of the clearances for the troff under the discos and meters is visable in this pic, but also in another pic in the Photo Gallery.

Reno mentioned LBs in one of his comments regarding the troff clearance.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard