ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 407 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
We have a fella here that insists it was "better then". Yea right. In the railroad business, they used to be able to tell if you were a railroader by how many fingers were missing. Ever see a picture of Altoona or Scranton or Pittsburg of the late 30's and 40's? People were dying of black lung without ever stepping foot in a mine. How many people died or were disfigured in the 50's in a car accident because of the design of the car? The cool chrome bullet in the middle of the steering wheel went right through your chest. The key in the ignition switch shattered your kneecap.

I'm not knocking any of those things, mind you, I just am very reluctant to say "good old days".

TW

Ps don't get me wrong, I love old adverts.

B
I love the old ads, too. Who remembers, "I came back!" and what it advertised? We used to use that incessantly when we'd leave my grandmother's house and return for a forgotten item.

The old ads did seem more honest and the approach was different in that they tried to really 'build a better mousetrap' and then portray or demonstrate the better qualities rather than today's method of targeting an audience with a psychometrically-geared ad that speaks such lofty-sounding promises but which only 'implies' or 'alludes' to the higher quality, rather than guarantees it. The legal obligation of 'truth in advertising' is upheld and yet tainted by the loopholes found in how the copy is written or disclaimers found in the little print at the bottom.

T
Just listen to some of the radio ads for automobiles. The "fine print" is squeezed in at the end (sometimes at the very beginning) and is almost as fast as the fast-talking FedEx guy... Almost like going to an auction!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard