ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 549 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Originally Posted by Meadow
Originally Posted by gfretwell
If you look at the scare tactics around the first electrical grid in the US, you wonder why it isn't 12v

Yahhh, but that was over 100 years ago. We could have gone with 240volts but just center grounded in residential.

In somewhat densely populated area a 3-phase Y system with 220-240 V between phases would have been even handier for small commercial/mixed neighbourhoods, farms etc. (no neutral, 1ph loads connected across two phases). LV distribution would have worked with the same number of wires as the old Edison DC supplies. Only MV AC lines would have had to be 3ph.

M
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Originally Posted by Meadow
Originally Posted by gfretwell
If you look at the scare tactics around the first electrical grid in the US, you wonder why it isn't 12v

Yahhh, but that was over 100 years ago. We could have gone with 240volts but just center grounded in residential.

In somewhat densely populated area a 3-phase Y system with 220-240 V between phases would have been even handier for small commercial/mixed neighbourhoods, farms etc. (no neutral, 1ph loads connected across two phases). LV distribution would have worked with the same number of wires as the old Edison DC supplies. Only MV AC lines would have had to be 3ph.

Should have gone that route for at least 100 reasons. 138/240 would be used for applications as you say with 240/415 used where 277/480 is now.

Cat Servant
As we go dashing off on a tangent ....

Folks seem to forget that nearly every variety of electricity HAS been used as a power source. To this day there are skyscrapers in major cities which operate on DC, Two phase, or who knows what variety of power. (It can make servicing the places rather interesting!)

We have what we have. To a certain extent, it matters not what 'flavor' we use, as long as we all use the same one!

Now, were folks truly enlightened, they simply would have come to me for advice. laugh Alas, that didn't happen. As 'unified' as Europe seems today, it was only a few years ago that each country had its' own style.

This debate become even more irrelevant as our existing grid falls apart. Our problems today come when the grid fails to provide whatever its' supposed to provide. For example, I have lost nearly every appliance in my home to a shortened life- caused by severe voltage drop. While that problem has been fixed, the damage was already done. That's what happens when neither the PoCo nor the railroad trims the trees along the right-of-way. frown

In the meantime, I'd be content if only the cursed 'delta' and even more despised 'open delta' versions of 3-phase went the way of the dinosaur.

M
Delta and open delta (along with high leg) no longer serve much purpose or merit. Where true service continuity is required a high resistance ground or peterson earthed system is the way to go. Other then that a center grounded wye is best.

Its interesting though, in the future its said everything will be DC fwiw.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard