ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
colrey:

ECN is here to share, vent, inquire, assist & talk the trade.

John
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Cat Servant
I'm still trying to figure out what's "wrong" with Mr. Electric.

Individual cases are only useful to a small degree, as there's not a firm in history that hasn't had a few stumbles. Now, if you were trying to show a pattern, that's another matter.

I'd look at least to appellate cases, AND their rulings, before drawing conclusions.

For example, at one point multiple franchise holders of Snap-On tools engaged in action against Snap-On, claiming that territories were falsely represented, etc. Such a claim goes right to the heart of the agreement, and is far more serious than if a single speculator simply wanted to back out of his agreement. (That suit was settled and terms sealed, so there's no telling what the real story was.)

Another example would be the many times various Midas Muffler franchises were convicted of fraud. While those shops happened to all have the same owner, it's interesting that the parent company never had the least objection to having this skunk represent their brand. In many instances, the parent company need only remove their sign and the franchise is out of business. I can't speak for others, but to me the idea that I would be associating with known crooks would be a deal breaker.

The McDonalds' franchises in northern Nevada were once all owned by Larry Mack. Around 2005 it was found that two of his employees were "mining" employment applications for identity theft and circumventing immigration fraud. While Larry was cleared of any wrongdoing (the franchise was fined), that didn't stop McDonalds from severing their relationship with him. From owning a dozen name-brand franchises, Larry had to start over by operating a single sports bar. Now THAT's protecting the brand!

There's no single way to set up franchises. Some arrangements have far more individual latitude than others. You don't like it, don't sign.

"National coverage" really means very little. Three of the nations' larges banks have very little (or no) presence in Arkansas or Tennessee. Yet, none can claim that Wells Fargo, Bank of America, or US Bank are 'failures.' That's the effect local rules can have.

Mr. Electric has attempted to partner with Home Depot in finding residential customers. This arrangement is handled differently by HD's main competitor (Lowes), and both arrangements have raised issues regarding contracting laws. It's very possible that no arrangement can exist that is allowed everywhere. What's 'required' in New York might very well be 'illegal' in New Jersey.

I don't see any problems with the Mr. Electric arrangement. Indeed, they seem positively angelic when compared to any number of "lead finding" or "Success Inc." operations that have appeared in this chat.

reno:
IMHO, I feel that comparing a 'fixed' business location (ie: McD; BK, etc) and a service business is akin to bananas and coffee beans.

Banks to my knowledge are all corporate owned, not a franchise.

The business regs here in NJ, and other states may vary widely, as to having multiple individuals using the same 'trade name' (Mr E.) That cannot be done here in NJ

As to the big boxes, there are many contractors that compete for the 'referrals' or whatever 'finders' options. I believe big orange says 'preferred independent contractor'.

John
G
The licensing issues would be the same in Florida. If you have a franchise, the license holder is still the individual even if they have a DBA.

Greg Fretwell
We have similar business names, each under a NJ Electrical Contractor License number. One lic. number, one DBA, Inc., LLC, sole prop., etc.

The guys with Mr. E all use their BP which has to be lettered on the vehicles, letterheads, etc. When they apply for permits, it is under the BP with the issued pressure seal, not any franchise name.

The other trades like 'Roto Rooter', all have lic. master plumbers with BPs.

John
I have a link for the program somewhere will look for it.

this might be it smile

http://www.moviesplanet.tv/undercov...ource=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard