ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
frank Offline OP
Can a three wire split reptical be rewired for two GFCI recepticals.Will there be an issue since they share the same neutral.I dont typicaly do this kind work but belive the GFI's only care about down stream faults.The FPE DPST 15a GFCI bolt on breakers were just quoted at $460 each so we wont go there.Im getting differing opinions.

IMHO, if you terminate on the 'line side' of the GFI device there will be no issues.

John
F
frank Offline OP
I didnt think so either following the logic that multipul GFCI recepticals everywhere go back to the panel on the same neutral anyway.The only diffence here is the proximity of the connection to the point of use.
Thanks

Last edited by frank; 05/15/15 04:08 PM.
J
Correct, fine on the line side, guaranteed trip on the load side.
Joe

B
Check with your inspector if he'll allow two 15A GFCI receptacles. I'm assuming that this is for a kitchen.

Bruce

S
Here is the ESA (Electrical Safety Authority)rules on changing from a split to a GFCI.This is for Ontario only. ESA Flash 14-02-FL PDF

T
twh Offline
Originally Posted by Shertok
Here is the ESA (Electrical Safety Authority)rules on changing from a split to a GFCI.This is for Ontario only. ESA Flash 14-02-FL PDF
What a great idea! Two 15 amp circuits are, after all, better than one 20 amp circuit. Unfortunately, all the reasonable people are in one province.

Link Copied to Clipboard