ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Type ENT the closest thing we have to this, is only listed for inside use. I have been testing some on my boat and 20
years later it does seem to be holding up pretty well tho.
3/4" seems to be the perfect size to sleeve the steering cable.

Greg Fretwell
Electure,
Ironically, I accidentally had my 2000Watt heat gun fall into a tub of water yesterday out on site, with it still plugged in.
I unplugged it quick-smart and there was a bit of steam (as it had just been used), it tripped the RCD in the switchboard, even though it is double-insulated (2-prong plug).
I opened it up last night here at home and dried it out, I used it on a job this morning, no worries at all! grin

Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Occasionally you see that type of light grey rigid conduit used outdoors in direct sunlight. Usually it's all bowed downwards in horizontal runs and cracked all over. Cable has to be UV resistant too but most people don't seem to care at all.

I don't think anyone used a bending spring here from the mid-70s onwards. They're still in manufacturer's catalogues but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere, only for copper plumbing pipes.

Ragner,
We have a hole in the ozone layer down here that gets bigger or smaller with the change in seasons, our UV levels down here in the summer, with no cloud cover can be really horrendous on PVC, other wiring materials and people if they aren't careful.
All PVC that we use here needs to be "UV-stabilised" or it won't last more than a couple of years.

Bending springs are what I was bought up with here, one of the first jobs you'll be given here as an apprentice, is to bend up some crazy looking off-set, with measurements from your boss and by God, you'd better have it right the first time! crazy

Bear in mind Ragner, all PVC bending springs are internal springs that go inside the conduit, you don't need any heat (unless it's the middle of winter), just rub it with your hand and bend the conduit under your knee-cap, easy as.
Anything over 1 1/4 (32mm), I just prefer to use pre-formed 45 and 90° bends/elbows, that's what they make them for.

Bending springs for soft-copper tubing are always external springs, I used to do a bit of refrigeration stuff a few years back, I've forgotten most of it these days, but this is mainly to support the inner radius of the bend to prevent it from kinking over or rippling as the bend is done.

T
I've seen pictures of PVC conduit bending springs and read articles about using them but these articles were from the late 50s when non-metallic conduit was new and all the rage. That old conduit (yellow or dark grey) had much thinner walls than the current stuff so I'm not quite sure how well you could bend modern conduit - I'd definitely give it a try if I could round up an affordable bending spring but I haven't seen one yet.

These days no one bends conduit any more. That's what you'd typically find in any cellar, garage or storage room:
http://catalog.obo-bettermann.com/c.../images/content/de-de/Wohnungsbau_14.jpg

Back in the old days they used clips like these and fastened exposed cables to the wall but that requires clips every 20-30 cm and getting it neat isn't that easy.

http://www.produktgesellschaft.de/neuigkeiten/ip44_2.jpg

The picture is a replica, clips are something like 1 Euro each and the switches are close to 100 Euros each I think. A regular IP 44 switch is less than 20 Euros, a cheap one at the DIY store probably only 4.99.

N
When I was in Germany in 2006, a hotel that stayed at had the same switch that the door card was placed in to turn on the room power, the wallet card from the CSLB, Contractors State License Board (CA) worked quite well.

Originally Posted by NORCAL
When I was in Germany in 2006, a hotel that stayed at had the same switch that the door card was placed in to turn on the room power, the wallet card from the CSLB, Contractors State License Board (CA) worked quite well.

So I take it Rollie, that trunk-slammers aren't welcome in Germany. grin

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard