ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#20515 02/10/03 04:33 PM
Wow... CSX is the comapny that owns the Greenbrier that owns the Sporting Club that owns SCM that owns my @$$...

Small world!

[Linked Image]

I'm partial to the Shay ...
[Linked Image from cassrailroad.com]

The Shay #6 would climb a 9% grade!

That's really steep! Interstate Highways are limited to 7% by design standards, so that it much steeper than any hill you've seen on the freeway!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 02-10-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#20516 02/10/03 06:50 PM
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Frenchelectrician,

Allright, another railroad person!!! And an Engineer / Operator to boot!

Feel free to post some stories and information regarding CTC.

Were you working with the company before it was integrated by CSX?
I would have thought you to be with CP (Canadian Pacific) or CN (Canadian National).

Virgil,

Nice Steamer image!!! Steam powered Locomotives have rather large....,,, uhh...,,, Testicals (sp?),,,.... at certain speeds, and can probably pull the drawbars off a diesel-electric unit!

On an annual special event train (passenger train), the motive power consisted of a 4-8-4 Northern (ATSF # 4735 I believe) as lead unit, and lashed-up with two SD-70s. The Diesels are used primarilly for Dynamic Braking, Air Brake ability and for slacked starts.

The crew in the Diesels kept bumping against the Northern while the train was running. They were trying to mess with the lead crew (kind of an inside joke for them!).
The crew in the steamer retaliated by opening the loco up full (increaded speed). The train accelerated upto 70 MPH, at which point the Diesels went into automatic emergency, and the Dynamic Brakes were applied automatically (near position 8 I believe). I think the locomotive(s) independent air brakes are also applied (???).
Even with this going on, the Northern continued to pull and achieve increased speed above 70 MPH.
Around 75 MPH, they figured it was time to end the retaliation.

As to CSX, they are a consolidation of many older and well known railroads plus other businesses. The railroads owned huge parcels of land, so they (CSX) are normally involved with many projects and buildings.

In your area, the older class 1 roads would have been maybe C&O, N&W, CONRAIL, MoPac, SCL, ACL, SLSF and PRR.
What roads do you remember seeing before CSX integration? (curious).

Scott35 S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#20517 02/10/03 08:20 PM
F
yeah i was with csx but i see alot of cn train near my area now btw csx is stand alone compaine as far the power wise i used to drive SD-45 it do crank out about pretty close to 3500 hp and the drawbar power pullage at max power setting is about 55,000 pounds the electric system is 8 pole alternator it do crank out anywhere 480 to 600 v dc or use as stand by generator it will crank out little over 3 mega watts !!! at 480 v ac if more question just let me know i will try to respone alot of answer if can merci marc [Linked Image]

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#20518 02/10/03 11:16 PM
Administrator
Posted for Trainwire:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
These are some pictures that I have from my Grandfathers collection. He worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad from 1936 to 1968. He retired from the powermasters office in Harrisburg. The first picture with the three different ones comes from a dog eared page of a magazine published in the early 60's about the electrification of the road from Philadelphia to Harrisburg.
[Linked Image]
The next picture is of my grandfather sitting at his desk in the powerdirectors office in Harrisburg.
[Linked Image]
The third picture is someone dangling from the Catenary,
[Linked Image]
and the fourth is a picture of the crew he started with on the Railroad in 1936 and the car that they used to maintain the wire. My mother tells me that by 1939 all but my grandfather and one other had been electrocuted. Including one they were pretty sure threw himself into the wires to commit suicide.

TW

#20519 02/10/03 11:40 PM
H
Scott,

My grandfather was an electrician on the DL&W railroad. Deleware, Lackawanna and Western. He started out as a carpenter but the railroad (RR) needed electricians. So he taped up his lineman's pliers and became an electrician. He use to maintain the signals from Hoboken to parts in western NJ. The DL&W merged with the Erie RR and became the E-L RR. They were later taken over by Conrail. Conrail also took over the D&H, Central Jersey, and something in Boaton. ( I believe it was the Boston and Maine.?) There also was the New York Central which merged with the Penn. RR to create the Penn Central. The Susie Q still runs around here these days. It is still alive and kicking.

Harold

Scott35 #215360 04/15/15 05:00 PM
K
kbo Offline
I know this thread is OLD but I'm curious if webmaster has any more catenary picture's. I currently work for amtrak as a lineman doing the same thing as your grandfather.

kbo #215361 04/15/15 07:20 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by kbo
I know this thread is OLD but I'm curious if webmaster has any more catenary picture's. I currently work for amtrak as a lineman doing the same thing as your grandfather.
kbo,

I often post pictures for other members that might not know how, or unable to do it themselves. I don't remember if that was the case in this instance, but these were posted for (aka submitted by) member 'trainwire'

Bill

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard