ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 403 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
I had a fan like that and it had a pigtail of SJ cord sticking out long enough to attach a plug to and plug into a receptacle next to the fan. It did not last very long and I did not replace it when it failed.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Here's another of my favorite "forbidden" listed product: The Edison-base circuit breaker:

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...al/edison_base_rejectionplugfuse/mb.html

This breaker is perfectly legal to use in place of a fuse. That's where the sanity ends.

You see, folks get all wrapped up around some code language relating to FUSES, and quibble that these breakers do not have "type S" bases. They also overlook the code stipulation "where there is EVIDENCE of over-FUSING. No, the assertion is made that the old fuse box must either be filled with type S fuses 'just because,' or be completely replaced.

Even the Bussman rep seemed surprised that his company sold these things, and wasn't sure if they were legal to use in a residential fuse box. Hell, that's exactly the use for which Mechanical Products (the actual manufacturer) intended!

Reno:

First, it's nice that there are only 15 and 20 amp models available, which IMHO is a great safety move.

Going back many years, entering a resi job and looking into the fuse box and seeing all 30 amp fuses, with a quantity of blown 20s on the floor was common.

Warm and 'hot' conductors were common, chasing 'opens' was common, and so were fires.

'S' fuses were installed as replacements, but a lot of people found ways to stuff a 20 in a 15 socket, or rip the adaptor out! The 'fuse/breakers' were around and installed. I remember many that were 'blown' more times then whatever there 'life cycle' was rated for.

Better than Edison base fuses?? YES. Better than 'S-Fuses'? YES. Forbidden?? No way.

BTW, up here resi fuse boxes are becoming real rare.

John
G
They made 30s at some time because the disconnect for my water heater had them in it when I bought this house but they were flaky. I ended up chucking the whole mess and buying a regular SqD breaker style disco when I moved the water heater.

Over 30 ago I sent Harold E some of those plug fuse breakers because he couldn't find any in New Jersey.

My experience here with S adapters was fairly negative. They had installed the size that would take a 20 or a 30 and the whole box was stuffed with 30s. Needless to say most of the conductors were 14 gauge. They were blowing the 30s. I finally talked the lady into simply getting rid of that fuse box and putting in a new panel. (a neighbor)
They ran a few extra circuits for the window shakers and the overloads stopped.

Greg Fretwell
Another interesting 'forbidden' item from back in the day..

Surface mount, 2 prong receptacles, made to be wired with 'zip cord'.

Made by Eagle and Leviton, and others. Instructions said something like mount the backplate to the baseboars, staple the 'zip cord' to the surface, mount the device with the piercing teeth to the backplate, and connect to a power source.

I think I have an old Leviton catalog laying around somewhere....

What say you gentlemen??

John
G
If it has a plug cap on the end it is going to be listed as an extension cord. I can see how they can be sold but you are certainly squeezing the word temporary when you screw it to the wall.
OTOH most plug strips have keyhole slots in the back to mount them semi-permanently. The whole thing is tip toeing around the code but this happens long after the inspectors are gone in a residence. Where you do get in trouble is in a commercial setting where you have a fire/life safety inspector walking around. We had a new guy here in Lee County who started enforcing the temporary wiring rules with a very sharp pencil. He had office workers all over town trying to find compliant solutions to all of the plug strips and orange cords they had strung around. In our office they negotiated using "surge strips" with a breaker in them in a lot of places but we also provided a lot of work for an electrician. In the end I had to admit, we made it a safer working space. At the time I was a licensed inspector but I was still working for IBM and actually had very little to do with their decision process. After the "raid" they did ask my opinion, interpreting the inspection report, hence the electrician. There was equipment that was too far from a receptacle and I told them there was no legal way to plug it in. We were starting to harden up our place for lightning strikes anyway so we were going to end up with surge strips, no matter what. I just was not using them to mitigate a lack of outlets where they were needed.

Greg Fretwell
W
[Linked Image]
Someone didn't bother with the key slots on the back. Though those flat head screws are grounded...

Cat Servant
Nice pic of the plug strip!

That pic might be a good starting point for another topic: Misguided over-thinking of something in the name of 'safety.'

There's a reason these strips are so difficult to mount securely. After all, how hard can it be to provide mounting tabs?

Well, they don't have handy tabs, simply because they're forbidden to have them. UL made the decision that if you could readily mount the strips, they would become permanent 'premises wiring." As such, you were in danger of placing a forbidden number of receptacles on a circuit, using that 90 watts per receptacle calculation. So, UL won't list one with convenient lugs.

(At the time this issue was debated, UL's own offices were flush with non-listed plug strips, and the maintenance departments were kept busy making others using 4-square boxes).

So ... the pic is what you get.

It's with that particular concern about code violations that led me to create this thread. It's just so out of character for UL to list something that is so difficult to use 'legally.'

UL has been caught short by the changing world many more times. This is not to be critical of UL- rather, it's a warning of the perils of trying to regulate everything.

Another example involves fluorescent light ballasts. These components were listed before UL had such a thing as "recognized components," and decades before there was any requirement that luminaires be listed. With hindsight, ballasts are but components- not a complete product suitable for listing.

And, of course, I've already mentioned the great "classified breaker" circus.

At least UL expects ballasts to power lights and breakers to detect over-currents. I can only wonder at their wisdom in testing AFCI's without there being any requirement, or testing for, the ability of the thing to detect arcs of any kind.

I'm beginning to think of a ship like the Titanic, where the helmsman gets his instructions from a Magic 8-Ball.

G
It is not hard to mount the strips permanently. It just takes 3 screws. You shoot in two that match the keyhole slots, pulled up so you get a snug fit with the case and shoot a 3d one in at the top, right above the strip, close enough so it won't slide up and come out of the keyhole slots.
We had a guy in my office who was a master at it and they were everywhere until the fire marshal started tagging them.
He even had a template to measure the pilot holes for the screws. The "hero" of the secretarial pool. ;-)

For the most part it was just radios, fans, wall warts and the occasional desk lamp plugged in. The problem came when they plugged in a space heater.

Greg Fretwell
G
BTW if U/L was really serious about the NEC they would simply ban Christmas lights. I have always said December was the month when the NEC goes on vacation.

Greg Fretwell
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard