ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Hi,

Maybe one of you can save me some homework. Any reason not to plug a portable UPS is isolated ground circuits?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
I can't think of anything.
I do think IG is largely snake oil tho.
IBM stopped recommending them about 40 years ago. There was no demonstrated benefit.

Greg Fretwell
T
twh Offline
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I can't think of anything.
I do think IG is largely snake oil tho.
IBM stopped recommending them about 40 years ago. There was no demonstrated benefit.
I don't know about that. I did quite well off them.

T
IG came to be quite the 'cause' when computers entered filthly electrical systems.

To go down the list:

Crossed over polarities -- far, far, more common than they should be -- so many out there tying their best to give us more repair work...

Over loaded circuits -- until digital logic came along sagging voltages passed largely without remark...

&&&&&

I've never encountered an IG installation in commercial service that was not companion to an isolated power system: an SDS. ( Secondarily Derived Service )

They went together like bread and butter.

It was a LOT cheaper to just drop these in rather than re-work and correct a fundamentally screwed up building -- some of which were bona-fide antiques.

Now that decades have gone by -- and ABOVE ALL -- with the rise of laptops in general office use (which have intrinsic isolated power and secondarily derived services -- every last one) the passion for IG and isolated power has evaporated.

It won't be coming back any time soon.

Tesla
G
The dirty little secret was IBM figured out they had found the enemy and it was us.
Virtually all of the noise in office electrical systems was coming from the switcher power supplies in our equipment.
When we put in the line filters we should have been using from the git go, it stopped being an issue.

Greg Fretwell
IG circuits, panels, and receptacles generated a lot of $$$ back in the day.

The search for 'clean power' for the electronics gurus went to motor/generator sets, and active UPS units. That was not your 'standard' offices, but research & prototype EEs in the 'chip making' fields.

John
S
My neck of the woods is largely behind the times electrically. I have offices wired in Romex of a marginal utility not connect to a grid, no IG, No surge protection, ground rod and connection to water pipe ground, frequent brown, blackouts, spikes from eagles flying into the lines, diesel generator back up and no problem with electronics. The more protected systems, like IG, ground rings, system wide surge protection, overrides neutrals, and the like seem have more problems. Lol!

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa

Link Copied to Clipboard