ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Originally Posted by geoff in UK
"What would happen?" On a good day, nothing as you say.
However, it takes little to strike a tube. In dry conditions the static generated by lightly brushing the tube can do it. You can start a fitting with failed starter that way. Also a transient on the supply could easily exceed strike voltage.
If a tube strikes with no ballast it is virtually a short so the breaker trips. I imagine the glass could shatter though I've never seen that. The energy dispersed will be a function of the breaker characteristics.

That makes sense, forgot how easy it is to start such a lamp! And yes, of course, a started lamp is a dead short! That's what the ballast does, limits the lamp current.

Aldi sold a rather interesting LED bulb recently, 230 V ES 27 "corn cob" style enclosed in a real pearl glass bulb, almost impossible to tell apart from an incandescent and the same size and shape too! This is the only LED bulb I've ever seen that won't cause any trouble fitting into existing fixtures and since there's no white plastic base light dispersion is very even.

B
Originally Posted by HotLine1
On a personal note....have you seen/know of a LED replacement 'A' bulb, to replace incandescent 'bug bulbs' in an outdoor wall lantern type fixture??

A quick search turned up a "Miracle" bulb on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-605023-Lite-Bulb-Yellow/dp/B002NH5TTA

Does anybody have experience with the Philips T8 LED lamp that uses the T8 ballast?

S
Originally Posted by HotLine1
sparkyinak:

On a personal note....have you seen/know of a LED replacement 'A' bulb, to replace incandescent 'bug bulbs' in an outdoor wall lantern type fixture??

Not yet but I'm sure there will be eventually.

Just carious. Whomever knows of places tat have LED lights, print of one of those color pallets that's has multitudes of color samples on it. Take that sample and check it out under the LED lights

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
brsele:

Thanks for the link, and doing a search!!

I bought that same bulb last spring at a local flea market. IMHO, and putting it nice, it's trash.

Thanks anyway

John
S
With any LED replacement bulb, do your homework first. Some can run off existing ballasts, some the ballast needs to be bypassed because the driver (LED version of a ballast) is in the bulb just like Edison base CFL's.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard