ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
No, that is a thing of beauty.
This is a Frankenstein monster

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

I may need to get a little more organized wink

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
Good project Potseal! How did you build the variable 0-9 volt supply?

J
This one doesn't look that great either, especially if the picture doesn't get through.

Attached Images
Hard way to Charge a Camera Battery reduced.JPG
G
I haven't hooked it up yet but I made a little series regulator with an LM317 chip and a few pass transistors on a heat sink. The 5v & 12v seem to fulfill all of my needs so far.

Greg Fretwell
Potseal Offline OP
Originally Posted by JoeTestingEngr
Good project Potseal! How did you build the variable 0-9 volt supply?

Here's the link to the page of the individual whose circuit design I used:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/variable-voltage-power-supply.html

The circuit design for the variable voltage is at the bottom of the page.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
J
Greg, MPJA sells an LM317 board with heat sink, multi-turn pot, connectors, et,c, for $2.95. I can't build one that cheap!
http://www.mpja.com/Adjustable-DC-Voltage-Regulator-Module-LM317/productinfo/31800%20PS/
I would usually opt for the LM350 since I can get over 4 amps out of one with a 12 volt source from a PC supply.
The boost board in my pic was a 30300 PS that cost $5.95, was LM2577 based. They don't seem to sell that one anymore, but came up with one for a buck less:
http://www.mpja.com/XL6009-Adj-5-35V-DC_DC-Boost-Converter/productinfo/31397%20PS/
I limit my boost regulator adjustment to 30V because the mini DVM can't handle more than that.
http://www.mpja.com/Mini-3-Digit-LED-Battery-meter-Input-Powered-Blue/productinfo/19599%20ME
I guess the main point is that, with a computer PS as your front end, there are many options for additional outputs.
http://www.mpja.com/DC_DC-Converters/products/42/0/1/
Joe

Potseal Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
No, that is a thing of beauty.
This is a Frankenstein monster

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

I may need to get a little more organized wink

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Dwayne
J
That looks pretty good Potseal but I would do a couple things a little differently.
1.) Substituting an LM350 for the LM317, will allow > 4 amps with proper heat sinking. Since your +12V output is probably pretty beefy, you might as well be able to use more of it.
2.) Your supply is really about 1.25-9+ volts as-built. Should you really want closer to 0 output, you can use 1 or 2 diodes, in parallel with a cap, and then in series with a resistor to the -5V supply. Referencing the low side of the pot to the bypassed cathode's slightly negative voltage, offsets some or all of the 1.25 volt adjustment voltage.
3.) D2 is usually placed across the 240 ohm resistor when using a filter cap across the adjustment pot. The datasheet shows that 10uF gives about a 15dB improvement in ripple rejection. D2 protects from that cap discharging into the adjustment pin. BUT, if D2 is shown as protecting a battery load from causing damage if connected backwards, there should be a fuse before the + output terminal.
4.) While you don't have to use 100uF as an output cap, definitely use at least 1uF, or you risk oscillations with low capacitance loads. The 1uF or more swamps out that possibility.
Joe

G
I have the transistors, already on the heat sinks (from IBM) and the LM317s are pennies each in quantity. I bought 20 a while ago. I got a bunch of 270 ohm resistors too at the same time so it makes a pretty cheap regulator. Most of the ones I have made are 3vDC, straight off the 317, to eliminate all of the batteries in stuff I have around here. If you run them off of a 5v wall wart the 317 never even gets warm. I seem to have collected a box of those wall warts over the years.
USB A cords are handy too since that is the output of a lot of these wall warts, (lighter plug adapters etc)

Greg Fretwell
Potseal Offline OP
Originally Posted by JoeTestingEngr
That looks pretty good Potseal but I would do a couple things a little differently.
1.) Substituting an LM350 for the LM317, will allow > 4 amps with proper heat sinking. Since your +12V output is probably pretty beefy, you might as well be able to use more of it.
2.) Your supply is really about 1.25-9+ volts as-built. Should you really want closer to 0 output, you can use 1 or 2 diodes, in parallel with a cap, and then in series with a resistor to the -5V supply. Referencing the low side of the pot to the bypassed cathode's slightly negative voltage, offsets some or all of the 1.25 volt adjustment voltage.
3.) D2 is usually placed across the 240 ohm resistor when using a filter cap across the adjustment pot. The datasheet shows that 10uF gives about a 15dB improvement in ripple rejection. D2 protects from that cap discharging into the adjustment pin. BUT, if D2 is shown as protecting a battery load from causing damage if connected backwards, there should be a fuse before the + output terminal.
4.) While you don't have to use 100uF as an output cap, definitely use at least 1uF, or you risk oscillations with low capacitance loads. The 1uF or more swamps out that possibility.
Joe

Thanks Joe

I build circuits as often as I date supermodels... Which means I appreciate the input.

You are correct about the volts for my variable voltage. To be exact and using my DMM I measured 0.25 V at the low end and 8.99 V at the high end.

I will draw out the entire circuit with everything I used including switches and fuses and let you pick it apart (if you have a moment). I would like to get the most "bang for my buck" so if a few changes can improve the final product that would be great.

Dwayne
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard