ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#214590 - 12/23/14 03:52 PM Saved from Electrocution! (Video)
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant
Member
Registered: 01/22/05
Posts: 5316
Loc: Blue Collar Country
Top
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#214632 - 12/29/14 09:59 AM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]
LEO_304E Offline
Member
Registered: 10/14/10
Posts: 17
Loc: MASSACHUSETTS


He did a great job bringing his buddy back to life. thumbs
Top
#214634 - 12/29/14 11:11 AM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]
gfretwell Offline


Member
Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 9039
Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I was afraid I was going to see one of those today.
Asplundh was trimming trees along the lines today and I saw the guy in the bucket backing straight into a 26kv primary. I spoke up, he ducked down in the bucket and passed about 2 feet under the primary.
If he remained standing up. it would have hit his hard hat or the back of his neck.
He stopped once he was clear and shook for a minute or two, then went back to cutting but he took another route to that limb.

They do have a pretty cool hydraulic chain saw they use. You only hear the chain running. Most people might not even know they were out there until they crank up the mulcher.
_________________________
Greg Fretwell
Top
#214639 - 12/30/14 08:18 AM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant
Member
Registered: 01/22/05
Posts: 5316
Loc: Blue Collar Country
I was beginning to worry whether anyone cared about this video!

I don't recommend the specific resuscitation techniques used - my, how the little guy flung his buddy around! - but it looks like the story had a happy ending.

I fear that OSHA will see this video, and require a 'dipping pool' be set up wherever live work is performed laugh

Since I don't expect Yahoo to archive the above link, I have tracked down the original Indian newscast for our uses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5WiGFIUH2A

In English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovw6KPPNM8I
Top
#214640 - 12/31/14 10:38 AM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]
sedesigner1 Offline
Member
Registered: 04/05/13
Posts: 22
Loc: NJ
Greg, unfortunately, I had a friend who was electrocuted. I wasn't there and don't know how it happened, but I understand it was a 13kv line. He lived for 9 months, in a nursing home, before he passed away from an infection. I visited him once or twice a week to read to him until he died. It was the most heart breaking thing to see. Everyone here on the site, we all have occasion to work around dangerous equipment and voltages, please keep safe and have a safe and happy new year.
Greg Madjeski
Top
#214641 - 12/31/14 11:47 AM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant
Member
Registered: 01/22/05
Posts: 5316
Loc: Blue Collar Country
One thing I HATE hen the topic of electrocution comes up is that everyone starts jabbering about "high voltages."

I witnessed am electrocution. I posted about it here, in a thread titled "Today I witnessed an electrocution," some years back. The victim had to be manhandled in a manner quite similar to the above monkey to remove him from the where he was, to where he could be revived. Ultimately, he was revived.

He was working on a 20-amp,120v circuit. He grabbed a 'hot' wire between forefinger and thumb; the current exited through his forehead, into a pipe he was pressed against by the cramped work space.

How do we know this? Afterwards, he developed a burn / scar tissue the size of a grain of rice on the finger and thumb. A dime-size blister developed later on his forehead.
Top
#214642 - 12/31/14 01:51 PM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]
sedesigner1 Offline
Member
Registered: 04/05/13
Posts: 22
Loc: NJ
Renosteinke, you are correct. Even more so because people may tend to be a little less careful working on low voltages. I have one of my tools from my much younger days, it melted when I shorted out a 120V, 20A circuit. Your reminder is appreciated. Again, stay safe and have a happy new year.
Greg
Top
#214647 - 12/31/14 06:29 PM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]
HotLine1 Offline


Member
Registered: 04/03/02
Posts: 6776
Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Not to start anything gentlemen, but is not 'electrocution' a cause of death?? Electrocution is 'Final' is it not?

There is a difference between one receiving an electrical shock, causing seizure, burns, falls, etc., and someone being killed (terminal) by heart stoppage, or terminal burns.

Whatever; better to be safe!
_________________________
John
Top
#214650 - 12/31/14 09:01 PM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: HotLine1]
Trumpy Offline


Member
Registered: 07/05/02
Posts: 8211
Loc: SI,New Zealand
John (Hotline),
I agree with what you're saying, electrocution is a cause of death, it is used after the fact, where as electric shock is used in the present tense, ie: before death has occured.
_________________________
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin
Top
#214651 - 12/31/14 09:17 PM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]
Trumpy Offline


Member
Registered: 07/05/02
Posts: 8211
Loc: SI,New Zealand
Originally Posted By renosteinke
One thing I HATE hen the topic of electrocution comes up is that everyone starts jabbering about "high voltages."

I witnessed am electrocution. I posted about it here, in a thread titled "Today I witnessed an electrocution," some years back. The victim had to be manhandled in a manner quite similar to the above monkey to remove him from the where he was, to where he could be revived. Ultimately, he was revived.

He was working on a 20-amp,120v circuit. He grabbed a 'hot' wire between forefinger and thumb; the current exited through his forehead, into a pipe he was pressed against by the cramped work space.

How do we know this? Afterwards, he developed a burn / scar tissue the size of a grain of rice on the finger and thumb. A dime-size blister developed later on his forehead.

So, let me get this straight, Reno, who is at fault here, is it the person that created the confined area around that wiring or is it the guy that never bothered to lock out and tag out the supply to the circuit before he started work on it?
I'm struggling but I'd tend to think it was the latter guy and he is bloody lucky to be alive, getting any current pass through your brain, in any weather is just down-right dangerous and stupid.
It's not so much the direct path from the hand to the head in this case, it's the internal voltage gradients on the way through that tend to muck people up in a big way.
We are made of meat, we have a very low electrical resistance to any sort of current, caused by the water content of our bodies.
When any current (irregardless to a degree of voltage) passes through our bodies, the path it takes and how it affects the heart and brain is the difference between survival and ultimate death. frown
_________________________
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin
Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Member Spotlight
Member Since: 11/17/00
Posts: 2232
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box


Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
 
Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9
 
Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals