ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#214520 12/18/14 04:41 AM
F
frank Offline OP
Im following another contractor on a roof top package unit instalation job.
The extra low voltage control wire that they ran is plentum rated(CMP) and does not appear to to be rated for low temp,UV or abration resistant.In fact the gery PVC jacket turns white when bent 90 degrees abd becomes very brittal below 40F.
I have checked the manufactureres website and can't find any matches for ECI ELETROFLEX CMP 75 DEGREE FT-6 18 AWG P109776 ROHS.Can anyone point me in the right direction.Thanks

F
frank Offline OP
Sorry for the spelling mistakes in the above post.Im at work,in a hurry and the letters are worn off most of the keyboard.
For some reason I cant find the specs on this wire at the ECI web site.In fact im starting to think it was an old spool that was sitting in the back of someones truck for the last ten years.

T
"ROHS is an acronym for Restriction of Hazardous Substances and is often used when refering to the EU Directive 2002/95/EC of the European Parliament and Council January 27, 2003 on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment.

When will the the directive be in effect and enforced?
As of July 1, 2006 all electronic and electrical products put on the European market must comply with EU Directive 2002/95/EC. There are no exceptions for pre-existing inventory which means that manufacturers products must be compliant before the July 1, 2006 cut off date. "

CMT Cable

RoHS is basically an environmentalist/ Green manufacturing initiative dating from 2002.

http://www.electrocables.com/page62.htm

This web page is the best fit -- being a Canadian outfit.

You can poke around...

Cheers.

Tesla
Cat Servant
What's the problem? Why can't you just use an available, appropriate cable? Why do you need an exact match?

PVC usually has 'plasticizers' added to give it flexibility. In truth, PVC is a very stiff / rigid plastic.
It's the plasticizers that give a new shower curtain that distinct smell. These additives evaporate over time, and the process can be sped up by heating the PVC or setting it in the sun.

There was a scandal a few years ago where the power companies on the West Coast bought grey wire that proved not to be sunlight resistant at all. That vendor is -surprise- no longer around. Perhaps this wire also has a defective jacket.

"Abrasion resistance" is a specification I'm not familiar with.

The "P109776" number is likely a 'file number' used by UL to identify the place of manufacturer (to them alone!). Again, this suggests that maybe the manufacturer farmed out the production to the stir-fry of third-world factories.

F
frank Offline OP
This cable has already been run by others through a ceiling space(plenum)and up though the roof.We actually had appropriate wire already purchased to surface mount on the roof but the cabling portion of the job was contracted out due to lack of man power.The contractor used the proper CMP ft-6 wire for the plenum but then ran it up the stacks onto the roof and into the units.
I wanted an exact match in the manufactures chart just to be sure of the listing as the manufacturer listing trumps everyone else,should have explained that a little better.
If new wire needs to be pulled and or boxes installed it has to be on their dime so I needed to be 100% sure.
Sadly we only have one code book for the shop and of course it's MIA and I wont get a new one until January.I was hopping someone would check the UL,CSA listing or help nail it down on the manufactures spec charts by model number.

CMP rated wire must be self extinguishing and low toxicity as a result the PVC jacket cannot be made UV resistant,is very brittle and does not have the abrasion resistant qualities typically found in cables rated for air conditioner condensers,roof top package units and air handlers(shakers).It looks and acts just like Cat 5,If bent to 90 degrees the color will fade to white and stay white as the jacket deforms and does not recover.

Last edited by frank; 12/18/14 05:15 PM.
T
Frank...

I gave you the ECI link.

(ElectroCables Incorporated)

A squib photo of that cable is to the upper left.

Direct all future queries to:

sales@electrocables.com

They actually get paid to answer your queries, and can speak with authority.

Last edited by Tesla; 12/18/14 10:20 PM.

Tesla
G

Greg Fretwell
F
frank Offline OP
Originally Posted by Tesla
Frank...

I gave you the ECI link.

(ElectroCables Incorporated)

A squib photo of that cable is to the upper left.

Direct all future queries to:

sales@electrocables.com

They actually get paid to answer your queries, and can speak with authority.

Sorry i missed the link in your first post and yes that is the wire in question.I have called the 188# and spoke to sales who informed me that it is of course not rated for out door use and will follow up with an email.Thank you Tesla and all who answered my post.

Last edited by frank; 12/19/14 01:03 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard