ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
A few years back, I bought a house and began a down-to-the-frame remodel. Included in this plan is a complete re-wire.

A good thing, too. The existing wire proved to be damaged - a fire in the attic had resulted in sections being 'free spliced' to make repairs. After the second circuit failed a megger test, I decided to not use any of the existing wiring.

I followed with a service change that still awes the PoCo line crews.

Yet .. despite this ... I still had lights dimming.The slightest load, and voltage would drop from 120v to 95v. I finally was convinced that nothing on my side of the meter was the problem. So, I called the PoCo.

Naturally, PoCo "procedure" deferred my repair order from a beautiful day, to one that had some light rain. Ultimately, the PoCo solved my issues by switching my feed to a different transformer. Now I have 122V, not a bit affected by whether I have a load.

So.... why are my neighbors unhappy? Well ... it seems that, as the PoCo continues to run down my original problem, the neighbors are having their power interrupted. PoCo crews are going from house to house, meter to meter.

This is causing much nervousness. Everyone who's a bit behind in their bills is in a panic; everyone who has broken the meter seal and monkeyed with things is rehearsing their denials. Folks are getting upset as line crews 'trim' the trees.

Fussy Reno has kicked over the hornets' nest.

On the plus side, my new microwave actually works now. smile

Cat Servant
Another surprise from this PoCo visit....

Much to my surprise, I've been drawn into the PoCo work. That is, I'm out there in my gear, with my meter, actually participating in the work. It's as if they had 'deputized' me. This is at THEIR initiative, started by THEIR supervisor.

OK, they know I have a license. Still, I'm amazed. I suppose it shows just how far the cutbacks have been.

Reno:

"Much to my surprise, I've been drawn into the PoCo work. That is, I'm out there in my gear, with my meter, actually participating in the work. It's as if they had 'deputized' me. This is at THEIR initiative, started by THEIR supervisor"

Nice that you are assisting.

Depending 'what' you are actually doing, that may be a problem up here.

John
G
Reno, your neighbors should be happy that you are getting the PoCo to make their power more reliable.

John, we have a strange mix of PoCo workers and "contractors" down here so seeing guys in pickups with magnetic signs on the door is not unusual.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
My role? It included opening my meter base and taking measurements with my own meter. Setting up my ladder to access mast connections. Hooking up and removing test loads.

Look, I felt perfectly at ease doing these tasks - but I guarantee that lots of official rules were cast aside. All others were PoCo employees. At least, with my boots, hard hat, and gloves I sort of looked like I was part of the crew smile

I suppose the fact I had gone to a class last month, and had the PoCo super sitting next to me, might have helped the situation.

As for the other folks in the area .... well, lots of people have learned to expect the worst from authority. Some of the fear was based upon ignorance; all they knew was that there were suddenly strange men traipsing through their yards, doing tasks that made no sense to them.

Some had their worst fears surface, where the loss of power as connections were replaced was thought to be disconnection
for late payment.

Most interesting were the folks racing to their yards, trying to replace the meter seals they had broken for some dishonest reason.

Reno:

I meant no disrespect to your capabilities to do what you were doing.

My comment was that 'up here' a lot of rules sure would have been broken, both POCO and IBEW.

We had a few issues here in the aftermath of hurricane Sandy with 'rules' and out of state POCO crews. (That was totally stupid)

John

Link Copied to Clipboard