ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Gotta love the internet ....

Just received this cart: http://www.shopcarriage-trade.com/nb6000.html

As I see it, this cart will carry a REASONABLE amount of stuff, and be both durable and handle less-than-perfect floors. The baskets are not so deep as to bury stuff in, either.

I plan to engrave / paint my name in the handle wrapper, with the hope of deterring 'cart recovery' guys, as well as making clear that mine isn't just stolen from the local market.

I use the double basket cart at the grocery store now , dont have to bend as much to take stuff back out of the cart. about 10 years ago safeway check out person would ask "do you need help with your groceries to the car sir " frown

Reno:
The 'Jersey Way' is to adopt one from the street.

Seriously, I had 'utility carts'; two trays, or three trays, both metal and plastic. They were the choice on commercial and industrial jobs.

I had a good quantity of 'rolling stock'; pallet jacks, wire carts, pipe carts, flat trucks, dollies, hand trucks, and....yes....one (1) shopping cart!!

THe utility carts were about the same $$$ as your choice.

John
Where does the coffee mug go?

I worked for a construction/maintenance crew that used cheaper rolling metal tool carts of the type that mechanics typically use. If the floor wasn't level and the drawers weren't locked the drawers would open all by themselves and the cart would tip over. Finally, after a few close calls, one cart tipped over onto my journeyman's leg and just about put him into retirement. Naturally, it was that incident that prompted the boss to buy carts that didn't have the "self-open" feature.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
Here's one of the better portable tool carts I have used:

[Linked Image from i60.tinypic.com]

Still no place for the coffee mug.

Last edited by Potseal; 12/07/14 02:31 PM.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
Cat Servant
These days, I work for a variety of different folks, with the usual stipulation of "just bring your hand tools, and maybe a cordless drill."

Yea, Right.

Jobs have had me park extreme distances from the actual work location. I invariably end up carrying things in boxes (cordless tools)and odd-shaped things like fish tapes and pipe benders.

Terrain? While the floors are typically concrete, there's usually a dirt / gravel parking lot, followed by 50 yards of rutted mud to the building itself. Within the building, that 'smooth' floor has all manner of pipes, steps, and other things you need to work around. Then there's the matter of getting near work, and around machinery.

Finally, once I'm there ...who wants to work at floor level? Wouldn't you rather have things near waist level, and be able to carry SOME parts with you?

Sure, I'm familiar with the traditional cart. The good ol' rattling cart, too long for tight corners, a bottom shelf that seems to warehouse un-findable stuff, and a bear to get up stairs. Better than nothing - but not the final word.

An added twist is that I'm driving a small car. Great mileage, but not so great for hauling things.

So far, my new cart has earned a lot of smiles. Naturally, the first assumption is that I simply stole the cart from a local market. This (unspoken) thought is followed by comments about how much they like these little carts when they go shopping. The wheels are certainly much better than the usual cart wheels.

One afterthought: I need to hang a wastebasket from the cart. No problem- Rubbermaid has been making hang-on containers for restaurant carts for years, and I'm sure they have a size I will like.

This is MY cart. A cart for ME. Were I running a job, I would have completely different solutions to specific tasks, like running EMT or pulling #12's.

G
I like the look of those Dewalt tool boxes. Are they 3R rain tight? I am looking for something like for my boat. I know the latches have to go.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Good ol' Rubbermaid has a few boxes similar to the DeWalts. They seal tight, although there is no real 3R listing or labeling, and the latches are also plastic.

The latches are fairly sturdy, hitting them if sliding the box in a tight space causes them to 'pop free'; not break.

Raintight yes, floodproof NO!! Hurricane Sandy killed mine, and the tools within.

John
G
I will look into the Rubbermaid. It turns out the DeWalt are not as big as I want anyway.

I understand the difference between rain tight and flood proof. That is why I didn't say NEMA 6 smile

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
If you want a bomb-proof, water-proof ,nauseatingly over-engineered version of the DeWalt set, look to the original version, the Festo Systainer system.

This link is to their pages of various components. All the boxes, of whatever size, latch together into a single, solid mass for transport:

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool-accessories/storage-systems

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/storage-systems/

Naturally, these systems are vastly improved versions of my 'original' system, that was based upon ammo boxes of various sizes and a simple hand cart.

Fine for tool transport, but lacking in any way to handle 'bulk 'items like boxes and wire spools, and no place to set your work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard