ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 581 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
I may still have a couple of these around here somewhere. When that debate was going on in the 90s I asked Tyco/Amp for some samples. They sent me 3 but one of each type so there was not a matching set.

Greg Fretwell
S
Here's the problems with prefabs, modulars, etc. They are built in an "engineered controlled environment". As such, the code does not apply. Just like toasters, blenders and such. The NEC does cover RV's and such in an "ECE", the codes do not necessary apply. Some may call BS on me but go ahead, I can take it
smile

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
I agree we inspect the installation of manufactured homes (the connection to the service, Grounding electrode system, the tie downs etc) but we don't really inspect the home itself. It is an engineered assembly.

They always see lots of modifications and additions but I am not sure I have ever seen a permit for it.

Greg Fretwell
A 'pre-fab' (fixed in place mobile home) requires permits for the electric service, and HVAC that is field installed. The actual 'unit' is not inspected. Bldg requires permit for tie-down, skirting, stairs/landing and the pad. Plumbing requires water & sewer connections.

Modular homes require the same, plus any work in the grade level and exterior. We do inspect the splice points, and any field modifications that may be done.

John
G
True modular homes are very rare around here. You can pay a crew to stick build you a house cheaper than you can truck in a compliant one.
Just about the time these factory guys got a 150 MPH "truck" house approved, we bumped it up to 170MPH.
Block, steel and concrete are king.

Greg Fretwell
S
However if the wiring in a prefab is altered and unless your are a factory rep, it need to meet NEC, state, and local ordinences

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
sparkyinak:

You are 100% correct.

John
G
I think the problem is, if these are in a "park" the neighbors will never complain so these "additions" just happen. They do not have public roads inside the fence so you don't really get much of a chance to drive by for a look.

There are a few gated "foo foo" parks with HOAs that will keep a tight reign on the owners but most are just a free for all. The park owner might raise your rent if you add on tho.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Here we have a few 'mobile home parks'; chassis mounted dwellings. All that is required for these is a service, and HVAC (CU only), and assuring the chassis is bonded. The 'services' are feeders from a meter and main disco, and the GEC is at that location. The parks for the most part are well maintained by the landlords.

One is a nightmare. Old, and what I refer to as 'the wild west'.

John
G
All of our parks are old. They were zoned out of existence 30 years or more ago. The ones we have were grandfathered in and most date back to the end of WWII and the 50s.
Some of the units in them are almost that old but they are all George Washington's hatchet (New head and the handle was replaced a few times). Very little is original except the "can". They all have "cabanas", auxiliary buildings, roof overs and lots of interior renovation/repair.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard