ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Redsy Offline OP
I have noticed several landscape lighting transformers that clearly state "install outdoors only", installed in basements and garages. After pointing this out to homeowners, I can't fully explain the potential problems (other than the wiring passing through the wall, which violates 411.4,) with doing this.
Any ideas?

G
Redsy, do these generate enough heat to cause a problem with things that could get piled around them indoors?

Redsy:
I would have to agree on the ventalation thing. Also, if the mfg says "outdoors only" an interior install would clearly violate the mfg. instructions. As an afterthought, how about the smoke/fumes when it fails??? better if it's outside??
John

John
R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks, guys.
I thought about heat, but then wondered about a hot summer day outdoors and the sun beating on it.
Combustibles stored in proximity to it would be a concern though that is unlikely to arise outdoors.

Redsy,
What type of an enclosure(body), do these
transformers have?.
Are they Hermetically sealed?,as this could greatly lower thier heat-dissipation factor, where they are not installed with free air circulation.

Link Copied to Clipboard