ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
dwhite Offline OP
I thought junction boxes mounted on a floor had to have the top flush with the floor. However, a box, along with conduit going over to, and up one wall, was mounted on top of the floor in the classroom I work in in Chicago. It is in a corner of the room about 8" from one wall, and 16" from the other. It is about 2" in height above the floor. I'm wondering if I am mistaken about a floor box needing to be flush, or if there are exceptions I am unaware of.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Floor boxes need to be listed as floor boxes. Then they have to be installed per instructions. That should get you what you need.

Greg Fretwell
F
The term "floor box" is usually reserved for a box with a receptacle installed face up. You pose (possibly) a different dilemma, a "junction" box which would not have a device installed, does not have the same restrictions. The only "electrical" issue would be if it were subject to physical damage as determined by whoever inspected the work. Other than that, there may be safety implications.

D
dwhite Offline OP
Thank you.

D
dwhite Offline OP
Yes - this is a junction box with conduit going over to the wall from the box. There is no receptacle. Based on the distances from the two walls, it seems like a safety hazard. The only reference I could find was that floor boxes had to be flush with the top of the floor, but maybe there are exceptions for J-boxes.

As 'Fiver' said, if it was inspected, the AHJ must have been OK with it.

It may be for a counter, desk, or some other item that is not installed.

As it sounds like it's in a corner, it probably is not considered a 'trip' hazard.

Just for info, what type of classroom,??

Last edited by HotLine1; 09/29/14 10:10 PM.

John
G
Yup Fiver is right. I missed the "receptacles" in 317.17(C)

Greg Fretwell
D
dwhite Offline OP
It is in an elementary school classroom and has not yet been inspected. It is not for a counter or desk, and nothing will be installed over it. It is in a corner and, as mentioned above, it is about 16" from one wall and 8" from the other.

OK, if I was the inspector, 'Why is it there" and if no good reason..."Remove it"

Trip hazard, subject to physical damage, etc.

John
G
Does your state have a separate code for schools? In Florida they have the SREF codes that deal particularly with buildings in the school system. You might get something there,

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard