ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 267 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I know the code says the clearance for open conductors from patios, decks, etc. is 3 ft. Is that from the actual structure? How about if someone is standing on the deck? How far from their hand reach is this? How about if they stand on the railing? I know that's a crazy questions, but I have a "service riser" I need to run and the weather head is going to be up above the patio of this house on the second story. If I knew how to post a picture, I would include it:)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I think they assume you won't accidentally touch something that is 3 feet out past the rail at it's nearest point or 10 feet up. If you are doing something dumb like standing on the rail, you are on your own. We have tree trimmers frying themselves about once a month around here.

Greg Fretwell
S
Thank you Greg for your response. This deck is built on the back side of the house and is approx. 10ft. high to the platform with approx. 4 ft. rails around it. The service drop connections are about 4 to 5 ft. up above the railing on the corner of the house. Could you tell me how to submit a picture? It might explain a little more. Thanks

Details on uploading pics are found in the General Discussion Section, at the top of the page.

John
S
Here is the first photo of the back of the house. I want to run the riser from the existing location where the old meter is, up through the patio decking, up to the eave, then 90 toward the right corner of house where the downspout is, and face the weather head facing the front of the house, away from the deck. https://www.electrical-photos.com/data/558/medium/Service_clearance_Clements_job.jpg

Last edited by sparkync; 09/25/14 10:26 PM.
S
Here is the 2nd photo showing where I want to put the weather head. https://www.electrical-photos.com/data/558/medium/Service_clearance_Clements_2.jpg
I'm pretty sure I'm alright with this. The old service is there, just wanted to clarify it. Thanks

Last edited by sparkync; 09/25/14 10:28 PM.
Based on the pics and the understanding that you intend on placing the head where the existing is, I see no issues.

As I often suggest, you should check with your local AHJ and the POCO, to be sure.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard