ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#213974 09/15/14 03:37 PM
Found this on a walk thru. One of many
[Linked Image]

John
G
Was this in a box or just a yoke screwed into the drywall?

Greg Fretwell
It's a shallow wiremold type box. There are quite a few others. This is a countertop; the appliance is a microwave.
The source of the NM is a male cord cap in a duplex behind the cabinet.

Male cord cap, cord to a wiremold box with a GFI/receptacle.

Basically, an attempt by a handyman/maintenance man.

John
T
Let's ask the other way round: what of the stuff we see here is actually acceptable according to the NEC and to your local code?

Stapling cable to the wall would be perfectly acceptable here, feeding fixed installations with cord and plug too, although only if proper strain relief is provided. Of course the angle plug with half-torn cord is inacceptable just about anywhere.

Tex:
None of what is in the pic is compliant with the NEC.

NM as in the pic must be protected from physical damage. Using cord for permanent wiring methods is non-compliant. The EGC (Equipment ground conductor) must be present and connected properly. Polarity must be correct.

'Cord caps' do not provide proper strain relief and are not listed for #12 NM (solid conductors). The angle plug is a factory item on the microwave.

Going deeper into it, box fill, cable entry, etc. could be addressed, but....why beat a dead horse.

This is in the laundry area; others are in vending areas, and guest laundry areas & fitness room of a 100+ room hotel.

All is the "quality" electrical work of the maintenance guys!

It will be corrected to compliance, as the property is being sold.

John
T
I might miss a few points here. Where's cord used for permanent wiring? I see the two NM cables coming up, presumably feeding the receptacle and another downstream.

Then there's the poorly terminated grey cord that I thought was connected to a microwave.

All the points you mentioned make a whole lot of sense (although not all international codes are as strict) but I've got trouble spotting them in the picture. The whole setup does look hideous!

Tex:
The cord issue is not visable in the pic, I have another pic of the cord issue. I'll post is asap.

John
Tex:
The cord is visable in this pic.

The NM (romex)in the first pic is a tap via acord cap in an outlet in the back wall of thebase cabinet. Sorry for the confusion.

[Linked Image]

John
Tex:
NEC Article 400 covers cord applications. 400.7 and 400.8 are the permitted uses for cord, and the prohibited use of cord.

The exhaust fan is wired with cord which is 'sleeved' in EMT. The yellow cord plugged into the receptacle is a rather nice 100' HD extension cord that powers a small fan that the laundry ladies use to help keep cool.

Also, the BX/MC cable that is tapped off of the circuit behind the emergency light requires straps to the wall.

Last edited by HotLine1; 09/17/14 10:03 PM.

John
G
This is what I found in my kid's house, after they got a clean bill from a home inspector.

Water heater hook up

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Light kit on the fan

Closet light. On off? turn the lamp.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard