ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
I have to run 8/3 from the panel to a spa pack outdoors for a spa. My concern is locating the Spa Pack beside the gas line that comes from in the house to the BBQ. It is limited where I can bring the wire to the outside. I do not see anything in the Canadian Code. Maybe a gas code? Any thoughts?

G
I have never seen any requirements for separation in the electric or gas codes.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
This is an example of where the exact wording of the various codes matters.

Your gas utility will have it's codes posted on the internet. A typical requirement will be that anything that sparks (like a breaker) has to be at least 3 ft (straight line, any angle) from anything that vents gas (lie a regulator).

I would assume that a GFCI sparks when it opens a circuit under load. I would assume that a simple gas line does N OT vent gas; therefore, there is no spacing required.

Based on the description from the OP, I see no problem with the location as described.

As Reno said, there is NO direct reference within the codes.

Please keep in mind that the OP is from Canada, and all of the responses are from US guys.

John
M
Looking at the Manitoba gas rules and the illustration shows that there can't be anything within 1 meter (3 ft) of the gas regulator. It appears to be based on CSA code so it should be the same across Canada.

If its just the pipe I don't see any restrictions but probably best to just call the local inspection office and have the gas / plumbing inspector confirm.

CEC 2-234 Electrical equipment near combustible gas equipment

When installed outdoors, arc producing electrical equipment shall not be installed within 1m of the discharge of a combustible gas relief device or vent.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne

Link Copied to Clipboard