ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
We installed 5 new Daikin A/C units on a large house with a back up generator and there are problems with the low voltage at generator start up messing with the A/C units (blowing fuses, etc.) Any recommendations on how to delay the power up of A/C units to after the generator stabilizes such as a time delay power relay that we could install that is available? Thanks

Chris Crawford, Space Options, Molokai Hawaii
J
I would think it best to make sure any ATS doesn't switch until the emergency source is within frequency and voltage tolerances. Then, if I had problems with multiple compressors trying to start at the same time, I would consider TDOs on the control voltages. By time delay switching power to the control ckts, the units would just "wake up" at different times after a power outage. All high currents would be switched as they always are. This would also help on return to the normal source, and if set long enough, help prevent short cycling of the compressor(s).
Joe

G
Most HVACs have a time delay module in them from the factory these days but they are a delay after power off deal. If the power was off for X minutes it starts immediately.
For the OP's problem you want "delay on" relays set to different times for each compressor.
Five to Ten seconds between starts should do the trick without being that noticeable to the users.

http://www.grainger.com/category/time-delay-relays/relays/electrical/ecatalog/N-8erZ1z0move

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard