ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#213636 06/16/14 12:16 AM
G
This just doesn't look right but I am not sure if it is a violation

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Pretty sure this is wrong wink

Greg Fretwell
N
Only "pretty sure" about the 2nd photo? Only thing right is the bubble cover.

G
The rules do seem to be a little different here.
They are pretty loose with the structural code too,

Greg Fretwell
That may be a deer stand!!

John
L
Or they get really high snow drifts.

G
I found out a little more about this house. It was rebuilt by HGTV last year. I am really surprised they did not make them bring it up to current code. They are certainly short on receptacles ... even way back in the history of 210.52.
They did put in all of the required GFCIs tho so someone is trying.
I have not been able to actually watch this video because the connection here is too slow to stream a flash but here it is

http://www.hgtv.com/video/montana-wildfire-video/index.html

It is typical of TV show renovations. If it wasn't on the show they didn't do it and it was only what they needed to do to get the shot ... like not painting the black iron pipe on the deck rail. It is rusting now.

Greg Fretwell
In the show itself, the hosts say that they're going to "make the decks safe and usable", but didn't show the actual work, thus proving your point.

One show on HGTV was "Fix it Up", although I had a different name for it. Every episode would include numerous Building Code violations, proudly done and presented by the hosts.

The DIY shows like this don't show the nasty chores like stripping paint and sanding. If they started showing some preliminary steps like this, I'd some of the watchers would never tackle them.

Cat Servant
There's a few things going on here, things we've discussed before, things that just might define the current state of our culture.

HUBRIS: You can do, we can help. You're smart enough to figure it out, so there's no need to bother to learn first. Tradesmen are automatically 'inferior,' so anyone with a "cool" job (like producing a TV show) need not respect their skills.

PRIDE: No longer valued. Slap it together and move on. Just so long as it looks good, and we can deny everything else. Promises, the 'sizzle,' matter more than results.

DESIGN: Why bother thinking, when you can cut & paste, or copy?

HONOR: The inspector won't see it, so ... all bets are off. Let's ignore any & all history that might have led to the writing of those rules.

It's not just academic. For example:
Near me is an Arby's restaurant that had a rather small fire. This led to a visit by the city afterwards, where it was discovered that EVERY roof joist had been cut. This was not related to the fire; what the plumber didn't hack apart, the HVAC guys did. The only thing holding the roof together proved to bee the layers of asphalt roofing on top.

End result? Building stands condemned. A massive remodel - probably requiring the complete demolition of the fairly young building- is necessary. I expect that the parent company, the franchise owner, and the insurance company are all spending a lot of time with their lawyers.

Yet, they 'got away with it' for quite a while. We all know of similar things. In my household remodel, it's amazing how many folks counsel me to do wrong things, justifying their position by saying there will be no inspections.

You can't fix stupid.

S
I was putting in some electric baseboard heaters in a house that had limited wall space. One room had once spot for a four foot heater but there was a receptacle right in the middle of the wall. So I got 2, two footers and a factory raceway that matched the heaters and put the factory raceway right under the receptacle with a heater on both sides

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
Well, let's just say some poeple like to live dangerously. Always amusing to see stuff like that.

Link Copied to Clipboard