ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tesla Offline OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-4cSLH1DEA

From Detroit... ^^^

How power bypasses get done. eek

(This craft work may explain the large number of burned out structures in the motor city.)

Last edited by Tesla; 06/26/14 03:51 PM.

Tesla
Cat Servant
Nice news item!

Actually, these guys are more of a symptom, a sign that there are much bigger problems at hand.

For example, the "outlaw" mindset that says there's no money for the electric bill, but there's money to pay a 'hook up guy.'

Then there's the whole idea that having power is a right, something you're entitled to, even something you can't live without.

All the while, we continue to persecute those who try to do things right. This rule, that license, yet another fee .... only to get blown off by an inspector who just can't make his appointments.

Prison? In this economy? Free room & board sounds like a deal to me! We have become a parody, a shadow, an abomination when compared to what we once were.

T
Tesla Offline OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il08ezF-oeY

More details on how to make the news.

Tesla
Interesting article!

5 years for theft of energy may deter some. Those that are desperate for quick cash to support whatever their needs probably will keep on doing what they do.

The one guy should be informed that there is fundamental differences between 'getting shocked' and 'getting electrocuted' Electricution is final!! Heck, one decent arc flash can ruin your day.

I like the jumper cables on the primaries;never knew jumpers were OK for 13.2KV.

Thanks for the info.

John
Electricity will remind you in an unforgiving way who is boss when you disrespect it. These guys tend to eliminate themselves sooner or later. I honestly can't believe someone didn't die in a flash of light putting those jumper cables on.

B
Originally Posted by Lostazhell
Electricity will remind you in an unforgiving way who is boss when you disrespect it. These guys tend to eliminate themselves sooner or later. I honestly can't believe someone didn't die in a flash of light putting those jumper cables on.

The worst part would be when they kill themselves, the families will sue and get millions... ultimately from the honest customers.

Cat Servant
YouTube is an amazing site ....

After watching that link, YouTube 'recommended' other videos. I was truly amazed on the number of films posted relating to power theft, copper theft, and so on. One particularly graphic newscast featured crews removing a man from the power pole where he had nicely BBQ'd himself to the transformer.

Maybe it's just the nature of YouTube, and everyone wanting to have their "15 minutes of fame." That's probably the nicest explanation for all these videos.

The alternative is ... well, remember when some folks wanted us to bring "America" to places like Iraq? Well, it looks like, instead, we've brought Iraq to America. Instead of building an infra-structure, it looks like some places (lie Detroit) are doing their level best to destroy their own society.

This culture of banditry has to be eliminated, or we shall all lose.

"Banditry" will exist as long as man shall exist. Theft of services has been around for a long time. There will always be people 'in need' thru whatever social & economic situations come upon them.

John
T
Tesla Offline OP
My late Uncle's first prosecution was a Federal case: a man and his hacksaw had re-purposed the 4" copper water mains pipes that were to go into the new Federal court house.

If you are not aware, at that time pipes of that size and quantity required serious lead time to (custom) order. Turnover in that size is extremely low. (Strictly government and big business.)

The industrious copper expert had spent all night cutting down these water mains such that they could fit in his trunk and (later) his back seat and (still later) his passenger seat.

His engineering was a little off: he'd bottomed out his springs and taken his tires beyond design limits. Hence, he could not motor much past 5-6 mph. The back-weighting had also thrown off his front alignment. (camber)

Surprisingly, this fellow came to the attention of even sleepy patrol cops in their cruiser. After a U-turn and 4-second pursuit they were able to arrest the over burdened hauler.

He made a pitiful sight in front of the Federal judge -- who, himself, would have to wait an additional six-months to move into his new court house. The ENTIRE Federal court house construction project was put on hold shortly after the theft. It couldn't be built until this critical sub-structure was installed.

Yes, it didn't take Columbo to solve the case, and Perry Mason was not there to get this defendent off. Not only did he have the copper remnants in his vehicle, but the tool of the crime: an EXTREMELY worn out hacksaw blade -- to go with his very tired arm.

My Uncle's career was off to a (copper) bright future.

Last edited by Tesla; 06/29/14 12:50 AM.

Tesla
Cat Servant
Tesla, let me make sure I understand what you have reported ...

Did you say a Copper solved the caper and put the slacker in the clapper?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard