ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#213491 05/23/14 10:26 PM
J
JoeyD Offline OP
Had my inspection all set up, the guy didn't show. Had a between 2-3 time frame. Called him, he calls me back saying he was sorry he got tied up. No problem we make another appointment for today, between 11-11:30. I gave up at 12:30 and left. No call no show. I am not making another appointment but want this permit closed out.
1st time in 20 years this ever happened.

JoeyD #213492 05/23/14 11:12 PM
G
Guys do have a few bad days in a row and stuff does happen but I agree this is unacceptable.
If it gets better Tuesday and it doesn't happen again you guys might have some tales to swap but if this is a pattern, escalate.

Greg Fretwell
JoeyD #213495 05/24/14 07:46 PM
Seems nice that you have a fairly tight window of expected time. My office quotes '8AM to 3PM'; "contact the inspector for a better time if possible".

We have 'no show' situations where the office 'adds' a stop and fails to communicate the add-on to the inspector. Yes, we also on occasion may 'miss' a stop; BUT...we do go back if there is someone there.

A blatant 'no show; no contact' would mean a trip to a part of the muni building an inspector may not want to go.

John
JoeyD #213496 05/24/14 08:23 PM
As I have been on both sides of the fence, I was 'stood up' by inspectors a few times over the years. One memorable time involved a 400+ foot trench, a scheduled afternoon inspection, confirmed the day before, and 'no show' by 345PM

A call to the muni bldg got the response of "he did not come in today". That did not sit to well with the DOT guy that was busting me (trench was partial in DOT easement.

Broke out a camera, tape measure, bodies in the trench. Sand in, trace tape, more sand, clean fill & done.

He showed up the following week & wanted it dug out. That did not happen.

John
J
JoeyD Offline OP
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Seems nice that you have a fairly tight window of expected time. My office quotes '8AM to 3PM'; "contact the inspector for a better time if possible".

We have 'no show' situations where the office 'adds' a stop and fails to communicate the add-on to the inspector. Yes, we also on occasion may 'miss' a stop; BUT...we do go back if there is someone there.

A blatant 'no show; no contact' would mean a trip to a part of the muni building an inspector may not want to go.

8am to 3pm is not acceptable for an inspection. Is the inspection department that unorganized they don't know what was to go when they leave the office?
I understand once all inspections are on the book for a certain day, then you lay out the route and can give a window of time but the wait all day for me isn't going to happen.

JoeyD #213508 05/26/14 05:33 PM
JoeyD:
No, my office is not unorganized! The office staff schedules inspections on 'first available date'; the inspection may be for one discipline, or all four. (B/E/P/F)

Most of the 'regular' contractors know to call 730-815AM the day that they are scheduled for a tight window.

Please keep in mind that a 'normal day' is 12 inspections per guy. The majority of my days are 'normal++'

John
J
JoeyD Offline OP
Originally Posted by HotLine1
JoeyD:
No, my office is not unorganized! The office staff schedules inspections on 'first available date'; the inspection may be for one discipline, or all four. (B/E/P/F)

Most of the 'regular' contractors know to call 730-815AM the day that they are scheduled for a tight window.

Please keep in mind that a 'normal day' is 12 inspections per guy. The majority of my days are 'normal++'

I can understand the whole stuff happens, thats what phones are for. 10 year old kids have cell phones so no excuse there.
I also understand the call the morning of and get a window, Im OK with that too, but not a 8-3 window unless its an all day job that I'm on all day, then you don't mind , it takes the pressure off the inspector trying to get there at a certain time.

JoeyD #213512 05/26/14 10:34 PM
G
I may have come into this from an unrealistic position since I went from IBM to state inspector with a few inspections a day, maybe 60-80 miles apart but I kept a 1 hour window for 8 years.
On the flip side of this, as a builder my wife says Lee County Florida hit that 1-2 hour window most of the time, even when they left the office with 30 or 40 cards (in the "happy times", 2005 or so). I do question how much actual inspecting was going on but postponing them would just mean 50 cards tomorrow. The up side of their job was they might have 20 cards in one neighborhood.
I do understand that a lot of guys simply failed the job on the first thing that looked funny and "catch you tomorrow".

I was very happy that I never had that pressure on me. I could hang around and really get a good look at things. After a few times actually climbing around in the overhead and opening boxes people understood this was more fun than a job for me.
I would usually wait to see the fix if the guy was ready to do it. That made the paperwork easier for everyone.

Greg Fretwell
JoeyD #213649 06/18/14 11:10 PM
J
JoeyD Offline OP
So I go down to meet this guy at his office today, explain I need inspection no mention of missed dates, tells me to come back next Tuesday to pick a date, he won't pick the date now.
Now I'm aggravated and tell him about the two missed appointments and how I've wasted 4 hours on this inspection and can't get paid until I get the job signed off, he tells me that doesn't sound like something he would do. Tells me he's backed up and there is nothing he can do, come back Tuesday.
I'm at the end with this guy and will try the mayors office or the state board and see what I can do.

JoeyD #213650 06/19/14 10:36 AM
JoeyD:

OK, he missed you twice, and it sounds like he blew you off on requesting a new appointment, that's not acceptable IMHO

NJ has 'regs' regarding inspections, and I'm not saying that the 'regs' are followed by all, or all the time.

My office policy is if an inspection is 'missed' and there is a call to the office that afternoon, you WILL see an inspector. Our inspection times are 0800 to 1500 Mon-Fri.

BTW, I feel for you. And NO my office is not 'perfect' by any means, but we do our best for all parties involved.

There are many stories of how my time is 'wasted' on jobs that are scheduled, or 'beggers' that need an inspection 'NOW', but that's another long story.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard