ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 256 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#213387 04/20/14 01:55 PM
A
Hi i would like to know in the UK 11kv system there are no fuses used ever is that right? is it just air circuit brakers and section switches and is the same true for underground systems i am curiose thanks Happy easter from annemarie (and Hollie)

ANNEMARIE #213388 04/20/14 02:52 PM
T
https://www.rwe.com/web/cms/en/286414/rwe-npower/about-us/our-history/structure-of-industry/

"RWE npower participates in the generation and supply segments of the electricity industry.

Up to March 2005 the electricity industries of Scotland, Northern Ireland and England and Wales operated independently, although interconnectors joined all three grid systems together. From April 2005 under the British Electricity Trading and Transmission Arrangements (BETTA), introduced in the Energy Act 2004, the electricity systems of England and Wales and Scotland have been integrated."

These have to be the guys to contact.

It's a sure bet that the monopolist is unifying all technical standards.

RWE would have to know if any legacy fuses remain in their distribution grid.

"...no fuses used ever..."

Is pretty absolute.

You need to go to the source if you want to have any confidence in an answer.

Tesla
ANNEMARIE #213412 04/25/14 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by ANNEMARIE
Hi i would like to know in the UK 11kv system there are no fuses used ever is that right? is it just air circuit brakers and section switches and is the same true for underground systems.

Hi AnnMarie,
I'm not sure where you got that idea from, but there are always fuses in an 11kV distribution system.
These fuses protect lines and transformers and are normally in the form of Drop-Out fuses mounted up on the cross-arms of power poles where a new section of circuit starts.

ANNEMARIE #215542 05/30/15 10:41 PM
R
I remembered my password again, sorry to be away for so long.
I have been reading on and off topics but was unable to reply.
I am still alive and actively involved in electrical work on the Auckland Network.
11 kV take off circuits are usually fused. In case of a single transformator, dedicated fuses are used, often 50 % over the nominal rating. e.g a 100 kVA TX draws 5.5 Amps at 11 kV per phase. These TX's are fused with 8 or 10 Amp ddo's or HRC fuses in an underground network.
A different situation occurs in a street fed from two directions with an open point in the middle. There could be 2 or 3 transformers either side of the open point. Fuses are heavily overrated in this case to allow all the transformers to be fed from one end. I have seen 100 kVA TX's fused with 60 Amp HRC fuses, which means no protection for the TX.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
ANNEMARIE #215620 06/12/15 03:29 PM
A
Hey RODALCO nice to have you back Ive seen your YT vids very intetesting thanks to you and everyone for all your reply and information. I thought 11Kv was infused because I couldn't see anything that looked like a fuse but next time I'm out in the sticks I will have a closer look

Link Copied to Clipboard