ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 521 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Originally Posted by JoeTestingEngr
I agree that wireless power transmission, in the utility sense, is not practical...
Not to bust on your beliefs Joe, as history has taught us, there was a time where everyone thought the world was flat, man can't fly, nor could walk on the moon. When TV and telephone came of age, TV was wireless and telephones were connected by wire. Now we have cable tv and cell phones.

A few years ago, lithium batteries were practical for watches and calculators while the critics were saying they were not technically not possible for greater things. Now they are powering cars to breakneck speeds and distances while making planes much more efficient.

A "mad man" theorized power could be transmitted wirelessly, powering wingless aircrafts with an ion drive, radio, radar, the induction motor, the Tesla coil, alternating current dynamos, arc light systems, electric vehicles, concepts such as the use of X-ray machines, telegeodynamics, robotics, and early computer-logic principles. All of theses all have practical applications today though some have small applications for now.

Granted, we may never see it in our lifetime but then again we would have none of these if it was the bold pioneers like Columbus, the Wright Brothers, Edison, and Tesla saying yes when everyone else said no. We be still in the dark ages living on a flat planet just starring at the sky if it wasn't for the most daring.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
The problem with utility distribution over the air is how you keep that much energy going straight to the receiver and what happens to anything that gets in between.
They are already frying birds at the solar concentrator sites.
If they are having this much resistance to a couple of miliwatts of RF in a smart meter. Imagine a megawatt transmitter on every block.

Greg Fretwell
S
There are hurdles no doubt. Necessity is the mother of invention. Bugs in technology is an opportunity for one to make it better. Optimism people!

laugh

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
J
Well Kevin, I have Christian beliefs and certain engineering and physics beliefs. They didn't teach that I couldn't fly so I went ahead and got my pilot's license and made 176 jumps. I didn't break a single law of physics doing it. Proof that it can be done is much different than something being practical. As Maintenance Supervisor of a 121KW (2MW ERP) UHF TV transmitter, I knew I was throwing a cardioid pattern out over Cleveland that millions could receive. It was more practical than running cables to every residence. But I wasn't powering the TV sets with the uW of power that each received. The $$$ and transmitted power required to power just one randomly placed TV set, would have paid for a lot of power cords and probably cooked everyone medium well.
That would have been harder to explain than the occasional breast that made it past our tape editing.
Joe

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard