ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 560 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
twh...

You're missing it: these modifications are OFFICIAL modifications.

They are not specific to any particular inspector.

The NEC is only a starting point for the California Electrical Code.

Tesla
F
Potseal,I've seen what you describe get inspected.The tape insulates the cable from the box and also makes it hard to see the anti short.The use of the NM strap often pulls the anti short out of the cable during installation and can force the armor into the insulation when you tighten it down,something a ac strap has been designed not to do.What it came down to was that the NM strap isn't listed to be used with AC and while he didn't make me fix it he made it clear that he could.He could also probably fail it on workmanship alone.
This was a hospital and they had wired an entire floor like this consequently it been ten years and so far so good.
Furthermore most hardware stores have no clue what that bag of funny little red things are that come with a spool of armored cable and throw them out.I ran out one day and tried to pick up some anti shorts at a few well known hardware stores and and they had no clue what i was talking about so I doubt any DIY wiring jobs have them.

Last edited by frank; 04/02/14 02:29 AM.
T
frank...

I can't say it's an industry trend...

But about eight-years ago I noticed that MC (250 foot coils) were delivered with dinky red hat bags. The vendor started pushing red hats as an 'a la carte' material.

I was expected to order them as a separate line item from that point onwards.

Our 1,000 foot reverse-wound MC spools were routinely shipped without red hats attached. (They wouldn't have survived if the attempt was made. These spools were rolled everywhere, too heavy to pick up.)

(For those unaware: the industry sells these spools all of the time. You have to ask for them, they may not be stocked. They are 'reverse-wound' because the BIAS of the tape is reversed from that of the common coils. As you know, coils have to be entirely laid out if you intend to pull MC into tin studs without hanging up the tape. (tape = sheilding metal cladding -- it's the NEMA industry term -- the name comes naturally if you saw how it was delivered -- and wrapped around the conductors.)

Reverse-wound MC is much easier to pull into a building. It's much easier to unspool off of a spindle/ floor rollers. It's not prone to kinking or snarling during the process. It does have angular momentum issues -- like all other wire spools it wants to 'run on.' Re-spooling over-run wire is a snap. The longer spools reduce 'end-tags' by 75%. (One spool versus four coils)

I don't work the Romex end of the market, but I assume that it's also availble in longer spools.

As for job site theft: the average Joe can swing a coil under his arm. A spool is another matter, entirely. They're not sold through the big box stores. I would love to think that one thousand foot spools would give the grab-and-go thieves out there second thoughts.

Tesla
Tesla:
I'm sure you realize this is a Canadian topic.

John
F
I get my spools in 150m or 492 ft so id want two bags.If the anti shorts aren't there they had better be somewhere else in the pile of stock or the wholesaler will be finding a way to get them to me,it's a no brainier.If they don't survive shipping that's their problem not mine.I also stock anti shorts separately but i expect a bag on every spool as well.Why should we pay for them when this has been the standard for years.
Also if I'm spending tens of thousands or more a year at a wholesaler they best be getting it right 90% of the time or I simply switch them up when i get pissed off.
Every wholesaler I deal with knows i have no problem dropping them for another.I don't pick up stock they send a rep and he takes a stock list to be shipped.I also take a picture of his stock list to cover my butt and then cut the PO.He shows up every two weeks to check the basic stock bins unless I call an and tell him not to bother(which means they screwed up one to many times).
I have a boss who has no patients when the parts aren't there to start work.Time is money and if the wholesaler wants to waste it,out they go.I generally bounce between 3 wholesalers,when one starts screwing up too much I just move to the next guy and the rest have to wait until their turn comes up again.
The wholesaler I have now has been trying to ship cheap thin metal two hole 1/2" conduit straps instead of the thicker single hole type.Something that small is annoying enough when drilling even standard 5800 psi concrete that they are told replace it with the right straps,plus I don't like the looks of them when they are used.
Maybe this sounds a little mean but know one takes garbage from me.Mistakes will happen but bags of cheap tie wraps that don't hold or L16's that are missing the clamps and have enough slag left on the locking nut to slice up the electricians hands just don't cut it(excuse the pun).If they want to save money by selling me cheap time consuming parts that damage employees hands i don't need them and I guarantee I don't see any savings just comp claims.Neither will i accept substituted parts,half orders or lackadaisical pickers(shippers) at the wholesalers.Its usually not the reps fault.
I do the best work I can and try to be professional,as such I expect the same from the people I work with.
As for the hardware stores that don't know what an anti short is,they shouldn't be selling AC to DIY's.it's simply a disservice to a customer who knows no better.That's just my opinion.When i pull Ac into a drop ceiling I just jamb a 2ft toilet plunger handle across the T bar so the cable slides over it nicely and have spring clips for metal studs,just have to remember to remove them when in done for the next job.Reverse wound AC cable should be standard but.....

Last edited by frank; 04/05/14 11:00 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard