ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 256 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Those j-boxes look very economical to buy and install...

But I'd never want to trim out such boxes.

Just too tight for my taste.

But then, I work in a concrete and steel world, wood... not so much.

Tesla
T
twh Offline
I've never heard of a box being described as residential or commercial. Even cable isn't classified that way. Depending on the structure, non-metallic might be acceptable in a commercial structure or bx might be required in a residential structure.

Tape on bx is wrong. It seems to be acceptable to let the anti-short fall out but if you let the tape interfere with the bond, it's bad.

Potseal Offline OP
Originally Posted by twh
I've never heard of a box being described as residential or commercial. Even cable isn't classified that way. Depending on the structure, non-metallic might be acceptable in a commercial structure or bx might be required in a residential structure.

Tape on bx is wrong. It seems to be acceptable to let the anti-short fall out but if you let the tape interfere with the bond, it's bad.

Yes, that is bad terminology on my part.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
T
TWH...

My AHJ prohibits power wiring smaller than #12 in commercial build-outs, prohibits Romex except for habitation, prohibits the use of #16 as lumiere taps -- in the NEC style.

(ie field wiring to said lumieres.)

Etc. etc.

Also prohibited is the used of plastic j-boxes in commercial work -- unless specifically sanctioned.

In sum, my AHJ is much more restrictive than the NEC across all manner of materials and techniques that would save on expenses.

Like Chicago, California is paranoid. For them it's cows and lanterns. For us it's earthquakes.

laugh

Tesla
Just to Add something to this thread I now see that BX Connectors are also rated for NM cable.

Cat Servant
Ugh! This thread is really about what vexes me at my industrial location daily: work performed by electricians and contractors who are not familiar with industrial work.

Purchasing does not seem to understand that simply having a license is not enough! Or, for that matter, a journeyman card.

During their apprenticeship, electricians are SUPPOSED to be exposed to all the various methods. In reality, most spend most of their time with the same contractor, doing the same handful of tasks. Now, with the collapse of the housing bubble, all manner of residential and service firms are trolling for the commercial and industrial jobs. Add to that customers who have poor project management, and you have a formula for trouble.

Match the parts to the method. It's that simple. Sometimes that means you can't get away with using the absolute cheapest parts.

T
twh Offline
Originally Posted by Tesla
TWH...

My AHJ prohibits power wiring smaller than #12 in commercial build-outs, prohibits Romex except for habitation, prohibits the use of #16 as lumiere taps -- in the NEC style.

(ie field wiring to said lumieres.)

Etc. etc.

Also prohibited is the used of plastic j-boxes in commercial work -- unless specifically sanctioned.

In sum, my AHJ is much more restrictive than the NEC across all manner of materials and techniques that would save on expenses.

Like Chicago, California is paranoid. For them it's cows and lanterns. For us it's earthquakes.

laugh

Our electrical inspectors are officers who enforce the adopted standards. Saying your inspector has different rules is tantamount to saying your police officers issue speeding tickets below the posted speed limit. I would have the same opinion of both of them.

T
twh Offline
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Match the parts to the method. It's that simple. Sometimes that means you can't get away with using the absolute cheapest parts.
Just to keep it on track, the parts in question did match the wiring method and are approved for that use.

T
twh Offline
Originally Posted by dougwells
Just to Add something to this thread I now see that BX Connectors are also rated for NM cable.
I caught that a couple months ago. Is that new? I used to point and laugh at nmd in an L16; but, I also used to laugh at 6 x #12 in a conduit on a 20 amp breaker and now it's legit.

Originally Posted by twh
Originally Posted by dougwells
I caught that a couple months ago. Is that new? I used to point and laugh at nmd in an L16; but, I also used to laugh at 6 x #12 in a conduit on a 20 amp breaker and now it's legit.

I think it was 3months ago i spotted the new usage. I used to point also :)now for the DIY service calls connectors over tight and shorting the cable

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard