ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
I'm putting together a bid for a tract builder. Actually they build about 250 luxury townhomes a year. They range in size from 1800 sq ft to 2700 sq ft.
Have any of you done contract work like this before and if so what type of sf ft price were you looking at. They want SQ D QO 200 amp services. What type of per unit profit do you get on these. Is it worth it for busy work at low margins?

A
Eagle, we did 42 tracts last year. Low end houses about 1700sqft heated. It was really just cash flow when it was all said and done.

Did bulk purchasing through P&S, GE and Senator Cable. Helped a lot! Kinda makes you mad when you see how low those guys can really sell it for.

The problem is your man hours. I payed a bunch of overtime while these were going which ate up the slim profit line. We still had a bunch of customs going and a couple of commercial jobs too.

We humped it the whole way, roughing each unit in 12 to 14 man hours. When it was all said and done i ended up with some real tired guys. They enjoyed the money, but they would have been just as happy working 40 hr weeks in the heat of the summer.

All I can say is beware! We ran about $1.68 per ft with no lights included. Had an offer to do it again this year and passed on it since we're growing our commercial division which is where the cabbage is.... i hope!

Link Copied to Clipboard