ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 376 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#212834 02/19/14 11:36 AM
G
Here's the setting: We have a 400a. fused Service switch with double barrel lugs on the load side feeding two 200a. panels containing a 200a. main in each one. The wire supplying the 400a. switch are rated for 400a. and the wires feeding the 200a. panels are rated for 200a. I maintain that all wires are protected at their ampacity and that this is a common installation. This would be comparable to the rules for taps found in 240.21 where conductors are protected at their load ends instead of their source. My learned colleagues say "Can't do that, it ain't a tap" What say you guys?

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
It sounds like a tap to me.

Tap Conductors. As used in this article, a tap conductor is defined as a conductor, other than a service conductor, that has overcurrent protection ahead of its point of supply that exceeds the value permitted for similar conductors that are protected as described elsewhere in 240.4.

Greg Fretwell
G
Thanks Greg, That's exactly what I was looking for. I was on Mike Holt's BB and they said the same thing it's a legal tap.

George Little
T
Not so fast.

It's a tap.

It may not be a legal tap. You have to follow the tap rules.

With protection of 400A ahead of 200A conductors you're permitted a run of 25 feet until reaching suitable OCPD -- in this case, 200A fusing.

That limit is applied separately for each tap -- and every phase or leg of that tap.

IIRC, there is a provision for longer lengths if and only if the conductors "outside the building" -- as in buried or encased in concrete. I've never pushed that to the limit except for one solitary fire pump circuit.

These are unique -- life safety -- circuits. Meaning that the conductors are not protected by OCPD from overloads in any way. The only 'protection' that such feeders get is from horrific bolted shorts -- and the need to interrupt power for service testing of the controller.

%%%%

BTW, though your feeders need to follow the tap rules, very few j-men would ever refer to such (feeder) taps as taps. In everyday usage the implication is that a 'tap' is that short conductor that goes from a wire nut junction to a load such as an electric range or lighting fixture.

The NEC DOES define such massive conductors as taps -- under the tap rules. I've known many a j-man who didn't know the tap rules, BTW. They are the kind of thing that never 'crosses his desk.' Feeders are normally sized and laid out by the foreman. So all of that 'book learning' fades into mist.

Tesla
G
I assumed we were talking about equipment in close proximity and piped together.

Greg Fretwell
Gentlemen:
I believe George was referencing a 400 amp resi service with 2x200 amp MCB panels 'tapped' from double barrel lugs in a 400/320 meter pan.

This is common over here in a lot of McMansions.

(Yes, they are under 25'.)

The 400/320 is a POCO approved meter pan; single phase.

John
G
If this is right out of the meter can on the line side of the service disconnect, it isn't a tap and 230.23 applies.

230.23 Size and Rating.
(A) General. Conductors shall have sufficient ampacity to carry the current for the load as calculated in accordance with Article 220 and shall have adequate mechanical strength.

A 200a disconnect would imply that you have computed the load on this panel to be =/<200 .

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Sorry, I did not see Georges 'fused service switch'!!
I still say 'tap'

John
G
Yup, beyond the service disconnect, I agree. Feeder tap.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard