ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
sparky #212682 02/02/14 03:03 PM
A
http://www.hea.de/impulse/i/ausgabe/1_09/fachbeitrag2.jpg

These are typical drywall boxes (sectional view), except the top one with extra wiring space is rather rare.

Renosteinke, have you worked here as you know so much?
I have by the way never experienced a whole box pulled out of the wall even when tripping over a plugged cable. It can happen that you pull the outlet itself out though, if its not properly secured to the box.

Last edited by andey; 02/02/14 03:13 PM.
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
sparky #212683 02/02/14 03:25 PM
A
Sorry to put in another response, there was a question about the price. The regular size 5-way original wago is about 13 eur / 17 usd per 100pcs.

Here's a short catalogue, german, but with a lot of pictures wink
www.wago.com/infomaterial/pdf/51264393.pdf

Last edited by andey; 02/02/14 03:28 PM.
sparky #212684 02/02/14 03:53 PM
Cat Servant
I did not work as an electrician in Europe, but I did other work, and traveled extensively there, back in the 80's. My travels took me to many places, on both sides of "the wall," as well as other places along the Mediterranean.

It's hard to make any "perfect" statements. Things do change over time, and each area has its' own differences. I tried to describe a common European method in terms an American would understand.

I saw quite a few boxes that no longer sat tight to the wall, and had some movement. Even completely loose boxes had their movement limited by the wires coming in to them.

You're quite right about the tubing being placed in the wall. I have never seen an American job where the electrician did what I often saw done in Europe: using a demolition hammer to carve a trench in the wall to set the tubing. The trench was then filled, as you said, with plaster.

The double-blade saws used in Europe to cut parallel grooves in masonry - blades are set about 3/4" apart - are all but unknown here. While it it possible to order one from Flex, Bosch USA told me to forget about buying one of theirs.

I like Wagos. I have only rarely seen them for sale here, though the similar Ideal "InSure" product is often seen on shelves at the parts house. I have yet to encounter one in the field that I did not instal myself.

Personally, I like the Wagos with the little levers. You can remove wires from them. I have to special order mine from a Wago distributor far from my home.

sparky #212685 02/02/14 05:25 PM
A
Excuse me, my English isnt perfect.
I don't understand from your text what method americans usually use nowadays to cut a trench into a brick/concrete wall?
They still use the demolition hammers here(mostly for larger cut-outs, panels) besides double blade saws and also handheld mills/routers (English?) which cut out the complete width of the trench - with a lot of dust though.

By the way, you can remove wires from the regular wagos too by pulling the wire while rotating the connector left and right. It will leave a bit of groove in the copper and you have to take care that none of the other wires come loose while doing that. The lever type is the most comfortable way and can also connect stranded conductors of various sizes.

sparky #212686 02/02/14 05:56 PM
T
Reno...

That's a new one for me...

Out my way, Wagos have been available through normal distribution for years and years.

Rexel Norcal has them right up on the counter in big clear plastic, wide-mouth, square jars.

Their claim to fame is dealing with short wires in old work. You can't beat them with a stick.

The lever Wagos reduce insertion effort to nothing.

This gets around the insanity of trying to turn down a wire nut -- for a stubby that is in the back of the box.

(I'd always pull fresh conductors -- but sometimes that's impossible.)

Wire nuts win out because they work for years on end and cost less.

I prefer the Ideal 'tans.' I can really crank them down with my nut driver -- my age is telling.

As the wire count goes up, the attraction of the Wago increases. It gets touchy trying to get all of the conductors to dance together once they number past four.

The cheap Red Chinese stuff just can't stay on spec.

Even their EMT fittings have issues. (You can't assume that their locknuts will work for any connector -- just the ones they shipped with.)

My favorite WP box manufacturer sold out to China. Subsequently quality control went to $%#@. That's progress for you. BTW, no dip in wholesale or retail prices. (!)

You'd think that someone would open up a NAFTA compliant plant in northern Mexico.

Tesla
Tesla #212688 02/02/14 06:25 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
The Wagos common here are good for 4A.

Has that rating changed?

~S~

sparky #212689 02/02/14 08:19 PM
A
Maybe thats the little ones for phone wires?
The current model sold here (type 2273) can take awg 18 to 14 and is rated 24A.
Is the US model the same? I cant find an english datasheet.

Last edited by andey; 02/02/14 08:23 PM.
sparky #212690 02/02/14 09:00 PM
Cat Servant
My box of Wago connectors has one of the larger sides completely covered with listing information.

The UL lable says they're rated for 600v, 28-12 wire. I take this to mean the connectors can carry any current #12 wire can carry.

Other agency listings have amp ratings as low as 20 amps and as high 32 amps.

Sparky, I think that either you are looking at the wrong product (perhaps one made for connecting a lamp ballast?), or you misread the marking. The "4" you saw most likely refers to the maximum wire size of 4mm (#12).

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard