ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Presently a licesed electrician in PA (east/central area). Signed up with state attorney general office as required by law. My question is does NY or NJ require an actual license issued by the state (you need to take a test) or does each town handle these requirements. I am thinking about moving up north near PA/NY/NJ border so my work would extend into those areas. I am certified by the NCCER and have my card. The town I presently live in took that immediately when they first asked me my experience level before issuing my license for the township. I read on the inernet that NY does not but it was an old remark and don't know if up to date.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by AFJES; 01/06/14 05:22 PM.
Aj:
NJ requires a state license & business permit
Tests are required along with continuing ed 34 hrs every three years
Proof of mandatory insurance and a bond are required
License is statewide. No local license are available
BA/FA licenses also
Data/comm card also required
Lic EC can do data/comm

PM me for more

John
Hotline1
Thanks for your time. Yes, I did find some info about NJ. Seems you have to complete an intense questioneer also. Surprised they do not ask for your shoesize. My feelings, unless I have a large job or customer in NJ I will stick with PA; so far for NY from what I have found each town issues its own license. Trying to find out if you would have to register with the NJ State Attorney General's Office like you do here in PA. Quick, easy and painless. Basically just answer a few questions about convictions for fraud, proof of insurance and they take your money.

It has never been 'easy' in NJ. If you have a few minutes, go to the NJ Board of Electrical Examiners website, and browse thru the minutes of a few meetings.

www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/electric/‎

Check out the'payment plans' that the bad boys use to pay their fines!!

There's other paper trails; some towns require 'Contractors Lic." for other then resi work. Resi is a 'Home Improvement Contractor Lic' (13VHO) That is statewide.

Shoot me aPM or email for additional info.

John
HotLine1
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, link comes back with 404 server error on the site/page.

I am not going to even bother though working in NJ under a license. As I said unless something big comes up but even then, I am a one person show and not looking to take on huge projects. I am good at what I do, certifed and have not had one customer complaint. So far I think I will limit myself to PA and NY.

No need to spind your wheels.
Much appreciated.

But as I said still trying to find out about NY requiring a statewide test/license or just simple registration like PA.

You could ask Mr Bill (webmaster) here as he is in NY.
Send him an email or PM

John
Re: NY State

As of now, still no State License.

I'm on Long Island where we have something like 2 - 3 Dozen different Licensing jurisdictions.

I don't know much about Upstate NY. You should contact the nearest County office to see what they say.

Bill

Bill
I still find it interesting that a big state like NY does not have a state license!
Thanks for the response Bill & Happy New Year to you and yours!!

John
G
I suspect the NY license thing is just an indication of the power struggle between the city and the people up state.

We had a similar thing with Miami that wanted to be the code authority in Florida and 66 other counties who said no.
I believe it was the failures during Andrew in Dade county that took the wind out of that sail and allowed the state to create a state wide building code and state wide licensing.

Last edited by gfretwell; 01/10/14 01:07 AM. Reason: add some thoughts

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by HotLine1
I still find it interesting that a big state like NY does not have a state license!
Thanks for the response Bill & Happy New Year to you and yours!!
Here on LI there is a Suffolk County License that covers 1/2 of LI. Nassau County has 3 Township Licenses and a plethora of Individual Town Licenses. Some reciprocate (with a Fee, of course) and some don't.

I'm guessing Upstate is the same way.

I think it's all about the Towns being able to collect $$$$

Happy New Year to You too! cheers

Bill

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard