ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I am looking for a moderately priced residential wiring layout program. Mainly so I can have the ability to show the circuit layouts, be able to use different colors for circuits of if more than one circuit in a room etc it can be seen easier. Be able to insert symbols, insert text etc. I don't need it to have capability for estimating, inventory control etc.

I was looking at "Residential Wire Pro" version 2 by CMH Software Inc. It lists as $99 which is in my budget and so far the screen shots look much like what I am looking for. But before I go and buy it I just want some input from you.

I have tried free software in the past but it just does not give me what i need and I spend more time battling banghead with it than it is worth.

Yes, I did a search on the forums and I could not find something specific.

Any input would be appreciated.

I have to do a layout of an entire house very soon and would rather do it with my computer than graphpaper bash Urgh!!

G
I am a computer guy but sometime it is faster to just do a "one off" plan on paper. If you are building tract houses where you can reuse floor plans or managing buildings where you are making a lot of changes and reprinting the plan, the computer is great.

Greg Fretwell
Thanks for the thought gfretwell.

I am or should say was an I.T. Analyst. So it is not so much the computer part that was killing me with the free software but the lack of "goodies" (eccentials like symbols)etc. Could not free draw, could not place text exactly where you want it etc.

Yes, hand drawing on graphpaper not too terrible but our town code enforcement office is getting very strict and it is much easier to spend a few bucks on software so the final results are easier for them to read, plus if they require changes I don't have to make a mess of the drawing. So I figure spending $100-$175 in software will save me money so I don't spend hours hand drafting it all out.

Well I purchased Residential Wire Pro v2 from CMH Software. So far I have to say it is really helpful and has the "gadgets and gizmos" that are necessary to put a plan together. NO more erasing colored pencils marks - Easy to learn and make changes as needed. Single user license cost me $99.00 so worth the investment.

Also, hooked computer up to 44" TV so now I can do the plans on a large life-like layout; much easier than having to zoom in-out etc on a large layout.

Don't know if a large electrical contractor will like it but for me, mainly a residential electrician (owner operated) it fits my needs.

Broom Pusher and
AFJES:

Glad to see that you are satisfied with the Drawing Package!

Have never used / heard of this Application; I am more of an Auto Desk Junky...

Does Residential Wire Pro allow the use of .DWG or .DXF files?
If it allows Importing of .DWGs, I have "A Few" Blocks you may use for your Symbols Library.
(BTW: "A Few" = >1,000 Blocks created / collected over the past 20 Years...,
and Blocks = Symbols, as stand-alone Drawing Files).

Some of the more helpful capabilities for your Package would be:
  • PDF Underlay (draw over a PDF image)
  • Attaching a CAD File as Base Template,
  • Wide Format Media Size Sheet Templates (ANSI-B 11"x17" / 12"x18" / 13"x19", ARCH-C 15"x21", ARCH-D 24"x36, possibly ARCH-E1 30"x42"),
  • PDF Plotter included (very helpful if you do not have Adobe Acrobat already installed),
  • DWG / DXF exporting,
  • Multiple Drawing Layers,
  • OLE for Spreadsheets,
  • Global Scaling.

Nevertheless, good luck with your endeavors!!!

--Scott (EE)

Last edited by Scott35; 01/04/14 10:32 PM. Reason: Typical Spelling blunders!!!

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott35:
Mainly at this time just working to use the layout portion of the program to get this project done. I do know you can export as DWG and other file formats but don't know if you can import, have not checked it out at this time.

You can check it out at http://www.cmhsoftware.com/wirepro.htm
and read up on it. There are a few links on the page. You can see the brochure at other details that may answer some of your questions.

Hope this helped.

Link Copied to Clipboard