ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#21220 01/29/03 06:55 PM
M
I have a customer who is getting static on TV reception every time the furnace comes on. My guess is that it is something to do with the motor. Anyone have any one have any suggestions.

Mark

I
If its oil fired there is also a high voltage ignition on it also.

Can you verify that is properly grounded?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
I think iwire pegged it.

Make sure it is properly grounded first, then maybe have serviceman change ignition transformer on burner. I once had same problem after a few tries with everything else it turned out to be the Honeywell circulator/burner control on heater, bad contact when burner was firing.

Glenn

E
Another sugestion if the above don't work.
These are probably on the same phase, so if you move one or the other to another phase, the problem may go away.

Any sort of bad connection or un-suppressed motor, can play havoc with a TV set.
Placing an adequately sized capacitor across the motor terminals, will nip this in the bud.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Broom Pusher and
This scenario sounds like either the Ignitor (High Voltage Pulses - like an Automotive Ignition System), the Start Switch on the Blower Motor (on split phase Motors), or both, are causing the interference.

These sources will cause a series of pulse-like "streaks" to appear across the CRT along with an audible noise (normally) in the audio portion of the TV Receiver.

The interference could be entering the set from the Antenna line, the AC power circuit, or both.

As stated before, passing the noise to ground via filters will work. Find out where it is entering from, then filter that circuit at the set.

Also, be sure the metallic frame of the furnace is driven to ground (properly grounded). This will assist to shield some of the Capacitive bursts from the Ignitor or Motor.

P.S. If for some reason the Blower Motor is a Brush Type Motor (like a DC Motor), the brushes will create a continuous EMI / RFI situation on the CRT, which worsens as brush-commutator contact also worsens. The results of sparkee brushes will show up on CRTs.
To catch this interference, place a low value capacitor across the Motor's input leads - right at the Motor.

Feel free to ask further questions about this situation.

Scott35 S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard