ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#212127 12/15/13 02:16 AM
J
This popped up in a Christmas lights forum.
[Linked Image from scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net]

Last edited by Justinelectric; 12/15/13 02:16 AM.
S
Definitely light someone up like a Christmas tree...

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
H

Would they use that for? To back feed a string of lights? Why not just make sure to use the correct ends?

Last edited by HotLine1; 12/17/13 11:50 PM. Reason: deleted language
N
They use them when the lights are already strung up and they discover the strings are backwards. Not much fun unwrapping 1000 lights from an arch. It sometimes takes some convincing that running an extension cord along the string is much safer...

G
I have always said Christmas is the time of year when Santa comes down the chimney and the NEC rules go out the window.

Why do we need in use covers on every wet location receptacle but the 1-15 on the end of a string of lights can just lay in the snow? How many U/L stickers do you believe on those $1.99 100 light strings? (if the even bother)
Running cords out windows from non-GFCI receptacles is very common.

Greg Fretwell
T
I don't know how you'd get it into the NEC...

But, single family homes really ought to have at least one GFCI outlet sited for festive lighting -- switched either manually from a floor walking height -- or via a clocked switch from a dry location -- as in heated, conditioned spaces.

This set up is needed for harsh weather -- and for the elderly.

Crazy risks are taken just to fire up light strings -- both electrocution and ice falls.

This kind of set up is a common as dust in my commercial prints. I can't recall of a shell contract that didn't have a provision for festive lighting.

It also wouldn't hurt if someone came out with light strings that were integrated with clasps that -- once mounted -- could stay on the building year-round -- and yet accept the light strings when lifted by a pole-grip -- all to get the public off of ladders in the dead of winter.

Every year the ERs of North America are stuffed with ladder-fall victims -- who were trying to place and remove Christmas lighting strings -- mounted via crude finishing nails tacked all along the exterior in the tackiest manner.

Tesla
M
The Canadian Tire Hardware chain here in Canada is selling a product that allows people to mound the light clips from ground level.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...tion-kit-8-ft-1513113p.html#.UrIQlfsvnFw

Not good for peaked roofs (pole is only 8 ft) unless you have a window washing or painters extento pole as the clips look like they use a standard threaded connection for lifting.

Originally Posted by mbhydro
The Canadian Tire Hardware chain here in Canada is selling a product that allows people to mound the light clips from ground level.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...tion-kit-8-ft-1513113p.html#.UrIQlfsvnFw

Not good for peaked roofs (pole is only 8 ft) unless you have a window washing or painters extento pole as the clips look like they use a standard threaded connection for lifting.

I have one ,bought extra clips ,decided it was made for California ,the clips don't work worth beans in the cold temperature

H
John,

Sorry about that. after I sent that, I thought about if it was going to get bleeped. It won't happen again. smile

Harold:
No problem, I think we all slip on occasion.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard