ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
brother Offline OP

Can someone help me out here. Had a buddy say AN Inspector says you cannot have switched receptacles in patient rooms. I cannot find it in the NEC or the NFPA 99.

I will admit I can understand the design preference for not doing it but to say it's a code violation is going overboard. BEFORE this guy is challenged on this issue I just wanted to hear from others.

T
It is not a fire safety issue...

It's a medical safety issue...

And is almost certainly some sub-set of the building code -- for hospitals.

This is what you must drill into your brain:

Our craft is ruled by a composite of rule books.

The NEC is NOT the end all.

If building a bank... EXTRA rules.

If building a service station... EXTRA rules/ exemptions.

If building a hospital... EXTRA rules... unique to them.

And so it goes.

This is why electrical contractors specialize. Anyone entering these sectors gets BURNED/ blind-sided during their first jobs. They can count themselves lucky to even stay afloat.

BTW, even wiring up elevators is brutal for a 'virgin.'

I had to walk my boss through the procedure. He'd never done one in all his career -- yet he bid the work -- pretty much in the blind. He later admitted he was glad to get out of that job -- with his company intact.

His expertise was in underground/ trunk utilities. Just another area that has EXTRA rules above and beyond the NEC. Once he left that zone -- he was in trouble. He was, however, the king of that domain. It was his bread and butter.

Tesla
H
You can always ask the inspector what rule he is citing. For any AHJ must be able to back up a statement with a code book and rule.

Harold:
You got it! I would like to hear an NEC Article directly addressing that.

I'm not saying that it could be 'buried' somewhere in 517, but I have not come upon it.

John
T
But it IS a Code issue: the Building Code -- NOT the NEC.

Can you imagine the confusion/ consequences if someone TURNS OFF a critical receptacle?

There is a LOT of portable electrica apparatus in hospitals these days.

Further, what's the purpose of a switched receptacle in a hospital? I can't imagine any. It's not as if they use floor lamps to light room space -- anywhere.

Just accept the logic and move on.

Tesla
S
Still, an inspector should back it up with a reference. Makes things go much smoother. I do it when I wear my inspector hat. It helps me to stay in the book. With all the changes every three years, it's dangerous to shoot from the hip

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
I am guessing California is like Florida. After the electrical inspector/plans examiner looks at the hospital, we have a hospital plan review and inspection by AHCA
http://ahca.myflorida.com/
They have their own rules that go far beyond anything I can enforce via the NEC but it is still on the plan. I can enforce the plan.

Greg Fretwell
T
Without context...

Who's to criticize?

The OP is fuzy on the particulars.

I read it that he's actually shocked that such is so.

As for myself, I would've thought..."could it be any other way?"

Switched receptacles in PATIENT ROOMS -- what's the purpose? Don't tell me he actually had some in mind!

The sole and only classic use for such items was ancient: the need to switch floor lamps. These are now archaic.

Tesla
Most health care facilities here in NJ have Plan Review done by the State (DCA). The DCA approved plans are then forwarded to the respective municipality for fees and issuance of the permits.

Inspections are performed by the municipal inspectors, and upon completion and approvals of the municipal inspections, the State inspections are performed.

And lastly, as I said above, back up the 'violation' with a valid code article.

John
J
The OP is not questioning the fact they should not be switched. He just wants a code reference for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard