ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I'm (obviously) not from the US, but I have done work in hospitals here as an Electrician.

Over here, our Regulations say that where oxygen is supplied to a certain patient area, that area must have certain means of electrical isolation while that oxygen is being used.

I hope this helps.

Trumpy:
What the OP was talking about is having a receptacle outlet (120 volt) controlled by a wall switch. I believe.

Similar to what some resi builders have installed in bedrooms here (US) to provide the 'code' required lighting outlet, controlled by a switch. The switched receptacle would have a lamp plugged in to provide illumination in that room, as opposed to a ceiling (or wall) mounted light fixture (luminaire, per code definition).

Hope this clears this up for you

John
B
brother Offline OP
Its my understanding that it is additional not mandatory.

This patient room has a switched receptacle for the bed power and a switch built into the bottom of the overbed light. That keeps them from raising the bed and ripping the light off the wall with the IV pole.Now, I have been told that they do not do that anymore and it's more of a code violation. I was told that when they needed power the most, the switched receptacle did not work because of a bad switch that was in the light.

I was also told that nurses and staff did not consistently plug the bed back into the correct switched receptacle on too many occasions. Basically defeating the purpose of having it in the first place.

I do understand the reasoning, but to say it's a code violation to have a switched receptacle in patient rooms, I just do not see that in the NEC or NFPA 99 or any other Code, Building or otherwise. If someone finds it let me know.

The inspector will be asked to show code reference. This is not my job or my install, its from a person I know. Like I said, I can understand the DESIGN preference, but when you say something is a CODE Violation, then you should be able to back it up when asked.

Brother:
You're correct on backing up a 'violation' with a code article.

Reading your above post, 'they do not do that anymore' is the key.

I can understand the confusions that could arise from a setup like you describe.

As you mention that the switch is within the bed light, that sounds like it was designed for a specific purpose,be it the bed or some other item.

John
B
brother Offline OP
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Brother:
You're correct on backing up a 'violation' with a code article.

Reading your above post, 'they do not do that anymore' is the key.

I can understand the confusions that could arise from a setup like you describe.

As you mention that the switch is within the bed light, that sounds like it was designed for a specific purpose,be it the bed or some other item.

Yes, it was designed for a specific purpose. It was designed for what I said exactly in my previous post. If the bed is plug into the correct receptacle, and they raise a bed with an iv pole that hits the light and it rises, the power to the receptacle, (and only that receptacle) will be shut off.

Even though personally I feel there could have been a better design when this was first installed some time ago, I do not see it as a code violation. All so called violations should be backed up with a code article.

H
With this "switched" outlet, if the architect spec'd it out on the plan, then the AHJ has every right to request being installed as per the plan. Now if it is a building code and the state allows the electrical AHJ to power to quote that code, ( Or if the state adopted that code) then he can also cite that rule. Here in NJ, the state allows me to quote the NEC, plus many other code sections from the ICC, NFPA, and other codes.
Now, the state gives me that authority to make that statement, but I still have to be able to cite a code section. I also have to say which code it comes from.

Harold:
To answer the OPs issue, careful reading of the details are required for this particular situation.

As I understand it finally, there is a switch built into the light above the patient bed. This switch controls a receptacle that the bed controls are plugged into. The IV pole at the bed activates this switch to terminate power to the bed controls IF the IV pole hits the switch, which is intended to protect the light from damage from the IV pole.

Sounds to me like a mfg installed safety device for the particular installation, which IMHO is beyond the jursidiction of the Electrical AHJ.

John
H
John,

OK, I see now what he is referring to. I missed the previous post and I can see how this was a specific design.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard