ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
I took a year long Industrial Electricity course a few years ago at the Alaska Vocational Technical Center (AVTEC). I live in rural Alaska and a local contractor is interested in hiring me on as an Apprentice. This contractor is not a member of the IBEW or ABC and I am trying to figure out how to get enrolled in a federally approved apprenticeship program.
I spoke with a friend of mine who went down a similar path to getting his journeymans license, he said he was able to enroll in a federal apprenticeship program. I believe he means it was not a local state of Alaska program. He did not remember the name and I am looking for any information I can find on this.

Thanks,

-David

H
Did you try to ask a vocational school for any info? Or maybe call the AVTEC to see what is available out there?

J
I don't know about Alaska but in Ontario there is no requirement to be a union member to be an apprentice. As long as you are working under a licensed journeyman you can be an apprentice.

S
The only school is in Anchorage. Even the union all over the state sends their patawons there. In Alaska, you are not required to attend school. After 4000 hours under the supervision of a journeyman you can apply for a residential electrician license that limits you to work on houses only. After 8000 of supervised hours, you can sit for your journeymans test

There are several good online courses you can take. If you are trying to use education benefits from the military, contact the VA and they can tell you what's covered. You may even get some sort of waiver giving that nothing here is easily accessible.

Where abouts are you at?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
D
Thanks for the replies, I was nder the impression that in order to be an apprentice and build hours towards my Journeymans I must be enrolled in a federally approved apprenticeship program.. Is this correct?

@harold - I facebooked my old instructor from AVTEC I may try emailing him next, I dont think that anyone else at the school would have any information for me but I will try getting in touch with their job placement advisor.

@sparkyinak - I interviewed with the IBEW in Anchorage, I scored a 95.5 on my interview and am currently #5 on their list for new apprentices, however I am trying to go nonunion. I just had my first son who is 5 months old and we would like to stay close to family here in Cordova. The local contractor in town said he may be able to hire me on and work around my commercial fishing schedule in the summer so if I could continue to do that it would be a major plus. I am interested in these online courses you mentioned. Is this the equivalent to being enrolled in an apprenticeship program? I have tried googling a lot of terms regarding apprenticeship and all I find is local apprenticeship programs in different states.

Thanks again for the replies guys.. Hope I can find some answers..

-David Carlson

S
In the state if Alaska, you are not required to be attending classes how every if the opportunity arises, I'd be all over it. More exposure the better. with U of A having
a satellite campus there, they may have something to offer there.

Cordova. Been there a few times. I'm currently working on setting up an electrical project for the Federal Government there. Being the only local shop there that I am aware. If they get it funded, it be some more work there in town.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
D
Thanks Sparky,

I would definitely jump on any opportunity I could find for training however what the college here in town offers is very limited.

What kind of federal project you working on here? I am very interested..

D
Regarding my getting enrolled in an electrical apprenticeship I guess what I am trying to figure out is if I can get enrolled without being sponsored by a contractor. I contacted the state of alaska about getting my certificate of fitness card but the woman I spoke with was not very friendly and clearly had better things to do then talk to me. I know if I was registered and ready to work it would be a lot easier for me to jump on these jobs when they come to town. Many of the craigslist ads I see for apprenticeship work around the state want you to have a certificate of fitness in place, however I thought you had to have a employer to get your certificate of fitness card. Seems like a catch-22 to me..

Last edited by David2882; 11/15/13 01:46 AM.
Hi David,
Welcome to ECN, mate.
Good luck with securing an apprenticeship, having done a couple myself, I reckon they are the only way to get trained up as an electrician.

Personally though, until you get the offer of employment in writing and signed by your prospective employer, a promise doesn't really mean that much, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be negative at all, but I've seen in the past here where there has been an "offer" of employment, but it has fallen through, by the boss saying "Well, I don't really have that much work to keep you busy".
I seriously hope that this doesn't happen to you. smile

Hope this is of some help to you and again, good luck.

D
Thanks Trumpy,

Honestly the contractors around here probably wouldn't have enough work to keep me busy all the time. Just trying to figure out how to get myself in a situation where I am a legal apprentice for them to use when they have the work..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard